SHORT SHIFT KIT

if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short shift in the first place..?

ralphee wrote:

...so they can make more money.
--
- Rufus

shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.
"Dad" wrote in message

shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.
I remember on the early C3 Vettes (and probably the C2s) the linkage had holes drilled in the linkage for either a short or regular shift throw. At least, I remember making that change on a 69 and a 71 4 speed I had. I preferred the short throw as I recollect.

steering/turns but I've never tried them since I never had power steering until the C4. The shifter links didn't add to the shifting effort very much if any, that seems to be the main complaint on the after market C5 & C6 short shifter.
"Dad" wrote in message

steering/turns but I've never tried them since I never had power steering until the C4. The shifter links didn't add to the shifting effort very much if any, that seems to be the main complaint on the after market C5 & C6 short shifter.
I made that change to my 69 base roadster which did not have power steering -- but not the 71 454 which had (and needed) ps. In those days, I believed a sportscar did not need frills like ac or ps. I have changed my opinion considerably.