side mirror pop

Hello all.....I drive a 97 and the first mirror to pop was passenger side I discovered it after work as I headed home , when I hit the gas the mirror swung in ...I discovered the shaft loose then at home I pllled door panel and found lock-ring sliped off shaft that secures mirror assembly ...used hot glue for a temp fix that was last week ....Well today I shut the driver door and pop goes this one too , Has anyone found a repair kit or a way to fix that lasts or is it replacement time........Mahalo Michael

Reply to
michael

If you don't care if they rotate any more, just glue them in place with JB Weld.

Reply to
Keith

Very odd, it goes for nine years and they both come off in less than a

2 week period. Tell us more about how you use the swivel feature and how long you have had the car.

or have it repaired by

Dad

Reply to
michael

That helps you, now help us, tell us more about how you use the swivel feature and how long you have had the car.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad

That link to 97vette has a whole pile of information that is really well presented. It has the same solution that I was going to use for lifting the car with such low clearance. If the snow ever goes I will be able to change the oil and drive again.

theoldman

Dad wrote:

Reply to
Theoldman

Hello Again Dad ......Well the swivel feature was a freebie as the car was purchased with all the options I could in 97 by me, been drivin it since then...actually it was the first one (c5) delivered in oregon that year .I still remember the looks the 1st 6 months and geting pulled over by police just to talk and check out the car ...fun times ... I only used the mirror swivel action once as my old garage entrance was tight and I bumped the drivers mirror pulling in , it swiveled and didn't rip off the car .....Mahalo Michael

Reply to
michael

My reason for asking was there have been some that used the break away feature to fold them up when they are storing/parking the car. That's a no no and leads to them falling off. Still strange that they would both fail at such a close time interval. Since the passenger door sees much less use it normally don't fail, let alone that close to the drivers door failure.

Reply to
Dad

I hate to sound negative, but malicious folks can just grab the mirror and yank it up and break it. Happened to me in a parking lot one day. Non-Corvette owner I assume. It was fine when I went in for lunch, swinging freely when I came out, but no scuff marks like it had been hit. Oh well.

Reply to
Keith

Reply to
michael

Dad....as I reread my reply I forgot the grin. Hope it was not taken wrong......Mahalo Michael....

Reply to
michael

NP

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
H & A

So far so good on the 02. I took a sudden hit from a lane-splitting biker about a month ago. I was going about 10 mph, the biker about 30 so it was 20 mph leather jacket against the mirror. "Clunked" back into place OK. Have taken similar hits on an 01 Buick and an 03 Buick with no failures. I think most of these hits were out near the tip of the mirror rather than near the pivot point (root) maybe that makes a difference, maybe the newer mirrors are upgraded.

-- PJ

H & A wrote:

Reply to
PJ