side mirror pop

Hello all.....I drive a 97 and the first mirror to pop was passenger side I discovered it after work as I headed home , when I hit the gas the mirror
swung in ...I discovered the shaft loose then at home I pllled door panel and found lock-ring sliped off shaft that secures mirror assembly ...used hot glue for a temp fix that was last week ....Well today I shut the driver door and pop goes this one too , Has anyone found a repair kit or a way to fix that lasts or is it replacement time........Mahalo Michael
If you don't care if they rotate any more, just glue them in place with JB Weld.

2 week period. Tell us more about how you use the swivel feature and how long you have had the car.
http://97vette.com/howto/mirror/index.html or have it repaired by http://www.capitalcitycorvette.home...es/clubnews.htm
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

That helps you, now help us, tell us more about how you use the swivel feature and how long you have had the car.

Thanks Dad
That link to 97vette has a whole pile of information that is really well presented. It has the same solution that I was going to use for lifting the car with such low clearance. If the snow ever goes I will be able to change the oil and drive again.
theoldman
Dad wrote:

Hello Again Dad ......Well the swivel feature was a freebie as the car was purchased with all the options I could in 97 by me, been drivin it since then...actually it was the first one (c5) delivered in oregon that year .I still remember the looks the 1st 6 months and geting pulled over by police just to talk and check out the car ...fun times ... I only used the mirror swivel action once as my old garage entrance was tight and I bumped the drivers mirror pulling in , it swiveled and didn't rip off the car .....Mahalo Michael

feature to fold them up when they are storing/parking the car. That's a no no and leads to them falling off. Still strange that they would both fail at such a close time interval. Since the passenger door sees much less use it normally don't fail, let alone that close to the drivers door failure.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Dad....as I reread my reply I forgot the <G> grin. Hope it was not taken wrong......Mahalo Michael....

NP
Same thing happen to me on my 97. First it was the passenger side mirror, then 3 weeks later the drivers side mirror. Neither of the mirrors had experienced an impact hit of any type or were delibertly swung back, I simply backed out of the garage and noticed the mirror swung out of position. Curious you had the same problem, cost me about $300 a pop to replace the units.

So far so good on the 02. I took a sudden hit from a lane-splitting biker about a month ago. I was going about 10 mph, the biker about 30 so it was 20 mph leather jacket against the mirror. "Clunked" back into place OK. Have taken similar hits on an 01 Buick and an 03 Buick with no failures. I think most of these hits were out near the tip of the mirror rather than near the pivot point (root) maybe that makes a difference, maybe the newer mirrors are upgraded.
-- PJ