SMART car coming to the US

I have heard for some time that the SMART car (75mpg) is coming to the US. Then last week I heard that a dealer in Portland has started a waiting list for the cars.
Anybody have any more information???
Bill
http://SnowboardSex.com It's not what you think
..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The Portland dealer, Thomason I believe, has had to put his plans on hold for a while until the Federal paperwork is straightened out with the importer. Seems there's some dispute on whether the cars have passed the crash and safety tests - perhaps also the EPA tests. The cars sound intriguing and looked pretty cool from the pic.
When The Oregonian ran the article they mentioned other dealers in the US who are apparently ready and selling them now. My browser wasn't cooperating in a search of the newspaper, but maybe you'll have better success.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
Humm, going after the "golf cart market" in "planned communities"?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

LMAO!!!

Saw them in Paris a couple years ago. They can park straight in - in a parallel parking space,
kickstart

They've been on Canadian streets for over a year now but I've never been compelled to check them out.

Rented two of them in Italy last year. One gas the other Diesel. Great cars, don't be fooled by what they look like.
Al
The dealer is Ron Tonkin in Portland, OR. There is are questions about fuel consumption and safety issues still to be answered before importation, I believe.