Speedtraps on the net

Here is an interesting article on speed traps in Missouri.

And here is a main site
I've been caught in my share over the years.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

The only speed traps I've ever been caught in were in Bonneville (Al. I think, it was 1960) by a cop driving a black a white 4 dr. Corvair. The only light in town was red and green, supposed to go both red and green to tell you it was changing. It went from green to red while I was coming into the intersection. By the way, he was the judge also in a little out house beside the road.

The other one wore a black leather mini skirt, man was she up to speed on everything.

Reply to
Dad

You haven't done it all until you've had one of SoCal's photo-monitored intersections light up. I coasted into one on the yellow and the guy behind me entered on the red, triggering it. Seventeen dozen strobe lights went off to foto the front & the rear of the car along with the driver's face. These things do well for the city (and for the commercial outfit that operates them.)

Worst speed trap memory was in 1954 in Georgia. IIRC, on Rt.17. Came around a narrow curve on the north end of town, the speed limit signs were about 50ft apart and the cop car was was poised right beside the "25" sign. Stood "trial" in the back room of a small bar--didn't like being called "boy." The fine was $ 20. Only had $12 in cash & a Texaco credit card. The "court" settled for $ 10. Judge & cop then took me to the local Amoco station where I got to pay for filling up the tanks of four cars (the cop car, the bartender's Lincoln (aka "judge"), the gas station guy's car & mine). Gas price had suddenly gone up to a dollar a gallon just before I arrived. Surcharge for having the "wrong" credit card was an extra five bucks. While my car was being filled, the cop drained the Lincoln back into the underground tank.

Reply to
PJ

Whoa doggie, did I ever get out of jail free if that's the case!!!!!

Reply to
Dad

Here is a fix for the photo traps and yes it works I just moved out of SoCal....

ZÿRiX

Guys - if you're evern in Arizona - Scottsdale AZ now has permanent photo radar on the 101 freeway (I've seen 1 Southbound, just North of Raintree &

1 a bit fruther South - but I guess there's more).

Fortunately, traffic's normally so damn slow on the 101 that it really doesn't matter. Although on the approach to Raintree for the first time, I forgot, & was doing about 110, until I slowed down to see what the strange poles were beside the road - I got down under 76 - so was OK (It's a 65 limit). I normally commute South on 51 in the evenings - traffic flows much better & no photo radar.

Also, Permanent photo radar on Frank LLoyd Wright Blvd, just East of 76th st in Scottsdale. poles in the median & warning signs earlier, too.

There's also a photo radar van on Scottsdale road (again, in Scottsdale) about 3-4 times a month - normally parked on the SW corner of Scottsdale Road & Princess Drive I think. Single, small white van, with stuff on top etc - real eask to see (45 limit).

P.S. Wat's the range of these things (permanent photo radar) ? I'm betting I can see it, before it sees me. But I'd rather not take a chance.

P.P.S. I do 80 miles commute, every day, and the 3 are the only ones I see. I see lots of red light cameras. But only 3 photo radar - all within about a 5 mile area. Scottsdale needs more money for road building I guess.

Reply to
Rufio

or you could get some women's hair spray, its clear lacquer I put it on (the tags ) after washing the cars. I'm not sure how long it lasts butt its cheap

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

Good clue -- thanx.

Reply to
PJ

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:07:05 -0600, "ZØRiX" puked:

Dumbass question, but what keeps you from getting nailed during the day?

lab~rat >:-)

Still waiting for someone to develop a Stealth type radar-absorbing paint..or a Predator style optical invisbility option for cars....(on second thought that might not be such a good idea)..K

That is also during the day in cali the flash it so quick and bright it reflects the light

Reply to
ZÿRiX

believe the flash also happens during the day. also, believe there was a product that came out years back that claimed to do the same thing. it didn't work. but, what do I really know ?

Reply to
'Key

(Calif). I finally got my Congress people involved. It was then discovered that some guy up in the bay area had a license plate frame or something that was throwing my number to the cameras. That guy was avoiding at least seven tickets I know of. I wonder if the clear paint might throw misleading numbers, or does it throw nothing at all.

Reply to
BDragon

What would be cool is a rotating number plate like KITT in Knight Rider used to have, remember ? the number plates in the back woukd rotate when he was being checked out...

Reply to
E_Tar

On 29 Mar 2006 01:00:30 -0800, "E_Tar" puked:

Or James Bond. I still question how that spray could work during the day. Think of the flash reflection you get in broad daylight vs. night from a camera.

lab~rat >:-)

Just a guess but maybe like the old speed signs that had "45" in black on a white background but had an overlay of Scotchlite glass beads that was masked to show "35" when hit by headlights at night.

Were I to try this, I'd place masking tape numbers on the plate, spray on the transparent reflective paint, then remove the masking tape -- but like Dick Nixon said, "...but that would be dishonest."

Last year, when trying to sell my C4, I shot some daylight fotos with the strobe turned on. The reflection from the amber and red side reflectors was pretty bright in the finished pics. Might be enough to make this fake number scheme work in the daytime.

Not just dishonest but, to make it work you'd have to find a 'victim' car (same color, same model) and fake that plate number on your car. Not the sort of act to carry out on a fellow Corvette owner!

Hmmm, next question. Does the HUD windshield make it easier or more difficult for the cameras to capture the driver's face?

Reply to
PJ

The HUD windshield is polarized ? i'm not sure that would really make a difference. the windshield is vertically long... hard to hide your head even if the camera is taking the shot from a 45 degree angle from up on high.

Reply to
E_Tar