Squeaking Belts on C5

I was getting a chirping sound under the car, especially when the engine was cold. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the "Tensioners." They
wanted to replace the belts (2 belts?). Being that the belts were'nt covered I told them to try replacing just the Tensioners. The was no squeaking for a fews day but now it's coming back slightly. Do you think that replacing the belts would stop the noise?
--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
Very well could. If they have been squeaking or squealing they could be glazed from the friction and never be able to get a good grip on the pulleys.
Just one of those things you have to try.. (read, spend money) LOL :-)
Stephen Horrillo wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

It's not squealing like the belt is slipping. It's sounds more like a cricket. They told me the belts were still good but they couldn't guarantee the sound would stop if I didn't buy new belts. Like I said, it was silent for a few days. I'ts much less now and goes away when the engine warms up.
--
All the best,

Stephen Horrillo
I had a similar problem when my 99 Vete was about 2 years old. The dealer said that the alternator was bad, and it was replaced under factory warranty. I bet the actual problem was only the pulley as was mentioned.
Fast Freddy
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060304070302090504000309 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I know what your describing, just one of those dang frustrating things you have to throw money at til it's gone. arrrgh hehehehe Are their any tiny cracks alone the grooves on the pulley side of the belt? If you can get it to bend in the opposite direction from how it runs you might be able to see them if they are there. If they show, at least you won't be totally wasting money to try and replace the belt.
snipped-for-privacy@stephenhorrillo.com wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I'll check it out. Thanks.
--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
Take a look at the crank pulley. Mine was "wobley". Not covered under warr. either probably, so replace the belts first. They cost $25/ea roughly.
-Stan

They wanted to charge me around $75 each (2 Belts) plus installation.
--
All the best,

Stephen Horrillo

Did you ever have anything done about it?
--
All the best,

Stephen Horrillo
Take your car to the gas station around the corner and make friends with the mechanic. Or better yet learn to do it yourself. Replacing belts is such a piece of cake that you'll be mad at yourself if you pay somebody $50 for the labor to do it. (Esp when there are 2 involved). Most of the time it's just the first belt that I've heard people complain about. Don't hear much about the a/c belt squeaking-chirping-whatever.
-Stan

My car was sqweeking a while ago and it turned out to be the alternator (I think you call it a generator in the USA) pully....just needed a quick spray of lube and the silence was golden