Taking a new Vette for a 'test drive' at a Dealership

Just wondering if anyone here has ran into a problem doing so ? Do they try to qualify you as a bonified buyer first , or, are they pretty lax about it ? Maybe theyd be convinced if you pulled up in an older Vette
you own (?) .
Most dealers don't have a car available to test drive and want to keep the ones they do have in 'new' condition. And, of course, many dealers are still trying to markup the price while big dealers are discounting $$$$. Unless you go to one of the big dealers that have demo cars (or even used ones) available, you'll probably be out of luck.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:04:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

That always amazes me. How do they think people can buy a car without a testdrive? I ran into a similar problem when I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V. They even had the doors locked in the showroom.
-Stan
(Dave in

'That always amazes me. How do they think people can buy a car without a testdrive? I ran into a similar problem when I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V. They even had the doors locked in the showroom. -Stan'
REply: I think if i were to sell my 1970 BB Vette, id have to figure out a way to week out the 'TestDrivers' from the credible ones ; any thoughts on how to go about doing that (short of asking for a copy of thier W2) ??
If he gets there, spends two minutes looking, and says, "Let's go for a ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15, 30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect.
It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.

'If he gets there, spends two minutes looking, and says, "Let's go for a ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15, 30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect. It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.'
Reply: Would you have any problem telling the first guy : "Sorry, no ride for you" ?? What is an accurate way of prequalifying a prospective buyer for your corvette ?
message

personally, I would drive it first and then check out the rest of the car. then probably go home and sleep on it before making my decision.
I have a friend that went into a high end dealership to buy a certain german made car. he asked the salesman how much? the salesman responded "if you have to ask? you can't afford it" my friend turned and walked out. my friend then went to another local dealer, paid cash on the spot and drove his new car home. so, ya see not every buyer reacts the same.
my2
--
"Key"

yeah, like a guy I used to work with, he went into a chrysler dealer wanting to buy a convertible for his wife....
salesman looked him over, and assumed NO SALE
he went 30 miles down the road, and bought two chrysler convertibles....... one for him, one for wife
then he and wife drove to first dealership, and showed the idiot salesman there the commission he lost........
of course, I did the insurance.... this was back in the late 1980's,
fun guy, eventually I went to work for him when I got tired of insurance
'he went 30 miles down the road, and bought two chrysler convertibles....... one for him, one for wife then he and wife drove to first dealership, and showed the idiot salesman there the commission he lost........'
Reply: Im glad he did that. Ill bet that Salesman learned a lesson .

I went to Courtesy Chevrolet 2 weeks ago. (San Jose). Wonder why the hell they are called "courtesy", well I got no courtesy. And mind you, there were 4 guys in white shirts just sitting there. while I was walking around the corvettes for 20 minutes checking them from every angle. I want my corvette just a certain way (C5-98-01, Dark Blue, Hardtop with less than 50k miles and Under 24k, I have seen these around, so dont tell me they dont exist...) I have about 5k saved for a downpayment. But since they left me baking in the sun for 20 minutes, I walked back to my Souped Up SUV and drove off.. I Don't Plan on Buying one from them when the time comes. I'd rather drive all the way to another dealership, or buy from an Individual.
'I want my corvette just a certain way (C5-98-01, Dark Blue, Hardtop with less than 50k miles and Under 24k, I have seen these around, so dont tell me they dont exist...) '
Reply: Here in Illinois, Im waiting for a 2001 ZO6 to fall below $25 k They are above $30 k. still. Ive seen a few newspaper ads for a 1997 hardtop ,low miles for under $20 k.
yup, exactly what I was saying.. Plus theyre great value at that price.. If you can find one from a single owner who has "babied" his car.
I dont think id go for a 1997, as i hear there were problems with them. Ill wait till the Zo6's drop below $25k which should be another 2 years.
message

dave, ever heard of using quotes when posting on usenet? believe even web-tv can do that for ya :-)
--
"Key"

go for a ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15, 30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect. It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.' <<<<<<<
dave, ever heard of using quotes when posting on usenet? believe even web-tv can do that for ya :-)
--
"Key"

REPLY: Key, look up above at the arrows ; arent they pointing to a
P.S. Key, i come here to talk Corvettes being a Corvette Owner . I hope you will put your focus on that also . If its extremely important to you to have someone respond the way you think it should be done, then, feel free to email me the Written Authoratative Web Standard for making a reply to a post...and i will abide by it ; otherwise, im not interested in nor do i pattern my life after others desires for the way i should be . Thank you in advance,
Dave