Tech: C3 parking brake lever

I have '74 C3. When I try to push the button on the parking brake lever to release the brake, the grip slides up next to the button making it difficult to release. I've looked at the grip but don't see
how the grip is staked to the shaft. If someone has encountered this problem I would like to know how you resolved it.
Thanks for any help, Carson in California