Thanks for Run Flat Tires

We had a major tire event on the way over to Pearland, TX on the Sam Houston Toll Road out in the boonies. The C5's DIC (digital information display) went nuts saying WARNING right rear tire needs service NOW.

We were in the boonies and there was NO place to stop for service. I just slowed down from 80 to 50 and keep on trucking on the Goodyear Run Flat tire for about 30 or 40 miles. Finally found a Discount Tire place they fixed it for me - for no charge.

This is why I will continue to buy tired from Discount Tire and I will no longer bad mouth the noise of the run flat tires.

Reply to
aRKay

Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However, I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor. The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure of owning a world class Sports car.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However, I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor. The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure of owning a world class Sports car.

Totally agreed. The noise, plus the harsh ride. I gave it a lot of consideration and decided to accept the odds. I'm taking my chances with the PS2's, a repair kit, compressor and AAA Motor Club. Could not be happier as the difference in ride, noise, handling makes the world class sports car much more enjoyable to own and drive.

Reply to
Gary Mishler

+Im glad they worked out good for you in a desperate moment. However, +I swapped mine out right after i bought my 2006 LS2 Vette and went +with Michelin PS2's with Tire Repair Kit and Portable air compressor. +The noise was rediculous on the Run Flats and destroyed the pleasure +of owning a world class Sports car.

Dave, I have no idea why you keep this story going other then for the attention. You claim that you changed them with less than 300 miles on them and none of the Corvette tires I know of were noisy until the got about 8,000 miles on them. Although all tires have road noise the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT you had are some of the most quiet Corvette tires being used today. My experience is with all of the tires offered on the C5 and the C6 plus 3 sets of non runflats and of those that were noisy were the C5 runflats that had cupped with between 8 and 10,000 miles on them. The first set of non run flats are still on that '98 C5, saw it yesterday, and he said they are starting to get noisy with 26,000 miles on them. They have a tread pattern similar to the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT you had and were always very quiet.

Most of the tire noise due to wear comes from an alignment issue that can be changed very easily. That question was answered on the Corvetteactioncenter.com long ago. Change to Camber to as close to 0 as possible will negate the inner shoulder wear that is so common. Toe, .05 left and right to reduce scalloping of the tire edges.

SwaveDave said this on Corvetteactioncenter.com 4/25/06 "Take a tour thru the Bowling Green,KY Corvette Assembly Plant and youll be convinced that the C6 is the best corvette thus far. As for what i dont care for on mine : 1. Too much rear road noise even after changing out the RunFlat tires. So im going to insulate the heck out of it. Minor correction issue to me. 2. Didn't care for the way the MN6 shifts especially when cold. I changed to Royal Purple Synthetic Fluid and it noticeably shifts better. Thats all the complaints i have about mine. Its a well engineered and built Corvette and is incredible value for the money."

I would guess that the tire choice/change was not as great as you say in the post to this news group.

Reply to
Dad

Why's everyone so pissy here? The group is almost dead and the remaining few want to bicker. Don't get it.

Just my $0.02, Ed

Reply to
spud

What web based boards are the best for info? Particularly regarding the C3 ?

I'm putting all new suspension on mine... and I'd love to have the kind of precise alignment info on the C3 w/ HD suspension VS the BF Goodrich Radial TA - that Dad just posted about the later cars.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

I'm with Gary. No run-flats on the '02. I go bare.

Corvettes are not off-road vehicles. So, AAA, a dual-mode cell phone and a canteen of water works in my C5.

In the last 50 years of driving I've had to call for help eight, perhaps ten times. Only one of those has involved a tire failure (a new tire that had a total carcass failure). Most have been from electrical failures (2-alternators,

1-belt, 2-batteries). Based on those numbers, I should carry an alternator, spare battery and the tools to change them.

:)

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Well, the Poster below me agreed with my analysis on the tire noise. And yes, I did change them out after a few hundred miles. And no, I dont post here for narcissism.

Reply to
ilbebauck

I went to Michelin ZPs (Zero Pressure) and they are much quieter than the GoodYears. Glad I did it. I like the security of the run flats. I don't want to stop on a highway and reinflate a tire. My Malibu Hybrid has the compressor & inflater - considering throwing a spare in there with a jack.

Reply to
Blue C5

You could try here,

Roy

This might seem a bit strange to folk with good hearing... But, bear with me on this.

My sensitivity to tire noise is probably the result of 'lousy' hearing. With limited 'bandpass' (can't hear much above 3500Hz), noise within my 'good range' pretty much wipes out anything else and becomes an overpowering part of the driving experience.

Folk with better hearing probably don't notice, or are at least are not annoyed by, tire noise to the degree that us 'old farts' are.

A pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones did help. But they are illegal in our state. One can sneak by on open stretches of the Interstate but, around town on metropolitan freeways they'll solicit a ticket. Another example of a revenue $$$ producing law since there's no hearing requirement to get a driver's license. :-(

-- pj

Reply to
pj

I'm with you on this, PJ. I have a severe hearing loss in my right ear. I can't hear my passenger very well, but tire noise and road noise are load and clear.

Reply to
JimH

Might I suggest louder exhaust for the hearing impaired? :)

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Makin' fun of the deaf guy huh?

I think it was a few rock concerts that did the damage. I remember "Cream" in concert at Madison Square Garden in the '70s. That one was so loud, it hurt. Then there was a 12 hour concert at Shea Stadium that finished with "Creedence Clearwater". Of course a loud exhaust could probably do it too. But, it would take longer.

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy"

-- Jim

Reply to
JimH
+++ And no, I dont post here for narcissism.

Sure you do.

Reply to
Dad

Aerosmith at Boston Garden was LOUD, and a couple years ago Black Sabbath in Charlotte was almost ear bleeding loud.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

The J-57 in the "Ford" (F-6A), when in AB, made a rock concert sound like chamber music. It did a number very quickly. :o

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Living Colour gave me permanent tinnitus back in '89. There were many concerts before that going back to '76, plus loud car and motorcycle exhausts, guns fired w/o ear protection, jobs in loud factories and repair shops, etc. that set me up for it.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart