There You Go

See what I mean about the company GM having their heads up their asses. They get rid of Pontiac and keep Buick.

Reply to
Speaker of the Truth

Buick was yesterdays news, and Pontiac had little "new" to offer that Chevy didn't have. Both were "your fathers car" - it's a feeling thing.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Actually my fathers cars were a Terraplane and then a couple of Oaklands. Pontiac needs to go, Buick is a better car all around.

Reply to
Dad

Two of their recently popular cars are the Grand Prix and Grand Am. Both sold better than Buicks.

Reply to
Speaker of the Truth

I'd never walk into a Buick showroom. I could buy a G8. Since there's no Monte Carlo, could the Grand Prix find a niche? Sorry if that offends. Pontiac should build the Solstice if GM is dumping Saturn. I expect the new Camaro to be a hit, so no reason for the Firebird. No minivan, no trucks, no SUVs. Can a marque survive on two or three models?

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

P.S. I started her today. Nice day, nice drive. Thanks, Chevrolet.

Reply to
CardsFan

Agreed........ but the Buick name is "old hat". At least the Vette keeps Chevrolet "relevant". :)

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

GM today still reflects the marketing philosophy of the 50s (Sloanism). In those days, when you were starting out as a young man (women stayed at home in those days for the most part) you began with Chevrolet and progressed through Pontiac, Olds and so forth until you had arrived -- at Cadillac. My Dad, a corporate executive with Firestone in those days when it was still an American company, drove a Caddy (except for an abortive disaster with a 57 Lincoln). So, if you were someone you would not be caught dead in a Chevy; of course a Corvette was OK for the more adventurous. The distinctiveness Pontiac, Buick and so forth had in those days is now blurred and has become essentially badge engineering. So, to me it makes sense to move beyond that.Other than Corvette I gave up on GM years ago and have driven Hondas -- even though I could easily buy a Caddy.

Reply to
tww1491

Not sure I agree with all of that, Buick is doing their homework and catering to those that want a quiet, trouble free automobile, the WWII babies, as Honda is doing. They have done that pretty well were as Pontiac is offering nothing more than what you can get in a Chevrolet with a different skin, ala the '50s. Pontiac will join Oldsmobile as a thing of the past and a casualty of the Obomanation rule.

Reply to
Dad

Ill bet that Pontiac Solstice is going to be worth alot down the road . They were only out for 4 years wernt they ?

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Buick is selling real well in China. GM is not going to do anything that might upset that. China is GMs future.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

Not sure I agree with all of *that*, because the oldest boomers are hitting SS age now and the youngest boomers are almost 50. I think it's the next generation down that is getting marketed to more.

Being an outboard mechanic I have about given up on new electronic cars and will likely get an older (southern) piece of American Iron for the next family car - one I can fix 99% of the problems without an electronic degree. A low miles 70's pickup truck (with a 6) would do me just fine now. Then I don;t have to deal with any of the bastiches again. :)

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

In the end, I suppose it does not matter anyway. I suppose the Obama administration will press ahead with the grandiose plans to spend and spend us out of the recession. I have a very bad feeling that the worst is still to come... inflation and no one will want our paper. But, this is not venue for this little fit of anger.

Reply to
tww1491

Heh... China will. :))

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

They're getting a little nervous at all of the "stimulus spending."

Reply to
NapalmHeart