Thinking of upgrading to C5

Page 1 of 3
Hey Everyone
I currently have a '90 C4 red/black 6-speed and am thinking of upgrading to a C5.
Is there a particular year that was better than others in terms of
reliability? Are there things I should look out for when looking at C5's?
Thanks in advance for any advice Garry
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:21:09 -0700, "Garry Horoupian"

Every year got better and better ... But when you come down to it the 1st C5...the 97 was very good right out of the box...
I sold my 95 (Black on Black 6 sp) because i could no longer deal with keeping a Black car looking the way I wanted it to.. then went looking for a 2000-2002 (Conv or Z06)..no coupe a couple of years ago and settled on a 98 silver 6 speed conv. Older then I really was looking for but it opnly had 19,000 miles and was super clean ...
Not sorry at all that I jumped on it.. completely trouble free and now has 24000 on her clock...
So buy the neest one you can get BUT do not pass on the earlier ones IF they have what you want...
Personally I liked the interior seating position of my 95 better then the C5's...just more like being in a race car I guess...BUT the C5 is much easier to get out of.....even trade in my opinion...
Lots of luck...
Bob G 64 72 & 98 Verts 76 & 79 Coupes
If you give Consumer Reports any credence, they list the 1997 and 2000 models , in particular, as not very good. 2002 had very high scores as did 2004 if I remember correctly. If a used 2005 C6 interests you, you could get a basic one fairly reasonable as i only paid $39,995 for my '2006' C6 with the basic 1 LT package brand new in Feb. of last year (had to go to Michigan to take delivery of it then drove it back to Illinois). The C6 has some big improvements over the C5 including no rattles and stronger performance.
Thanks for the info.
I would love a c6 but I'm too pricey for me.

Garry H wrote:

Bought an '02 coupe about 20 months ago-- <20K miles. It's not a daily driver but gets a good workout three weekends a month and an occasional trip for dinner with my bride. Now nearing 38K.
Expenses to date: routine fluids, one set of tires and a dynotune. I'm quite happy aside from a slightly tighter cockpit with less lateral support than in the C4.
Dad hasn't spoken up yet but he prefers the '03 to the '02. I believe that the networking between the control modules was better on the '03 & '04 than on the '02 and prior--probably makes for quicker diagnostics.
-- pj '02 e-blu 6-spd / '89 auto cpe.

I think Dad said his favorite C5 was his 98 he had...
I love my 98, so far it is the only Vette I have owened but hope to change that soon...
--
ZRiX
(`'..(<>..<>)..')
dave wrote:

I think this is a pretty good observation. Local C5 prices have held well for the last two years.
I bought for 27.5K almost two years ago and similar cars are going for that or better this month.
-- pj
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:57:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

I gave up on Consumer reports man many years ago... Their opinions are similar to the bean counters in the home office of many major corporations and never even remotely like mine...
Oil consumption on "some" 2000's was an issue most were handled under warranty by having new rings installed... I have no clue what CR knocked the 97 for...but knowing them it was probably about it would not hold 3 adults comfortably
BTW...I have Dads Original shopp Manuels he had for his 98... (complete 20 pound set, I do not see where he had used them at all..
The C6 is really nice BUT for me it is not worth selling my C5 for...Maybe I am hard of hearing as my C5 does shake or rattle but it does roll... Bob G. 64 72 & 98 Verts 76 & 79 Coupes
"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message (dave)

Pure bullshit, but then why wouldn't a 2004 be better than a 1997, duh!

More bullshit, yeah you wrote a check for $39,995 and then a check for $2,600 for state taxes when you got home, plus air fare of $98, plus gas to drive 400 miles at about $40 and a couple of meals at McDonalds at $10. That comes out about $42,743 if you had stayed home and dealt with a dealer in your back yard, maybe even traded in your ol motorhome to help offset that tax burden. Yes, I know my figures are all wrong but even you should get my point.

What big improvements are you referring to, and tell me about all of the rattles that were in the C5s you never owned that are not in some of the C6s? Ever hear of the top flying off the C5s? Maybe you're referring to less rear vision or that you have to have it in gear, in the '05 it has to be reverse to get out of the damn thing, that includes if you've been hit and are unconscious with it out of gear with the ignition off; both of which can occur from impact; and your passenger is wanting to get out; he better know he needs to pull the eject lever on the floor. Like the airlines I brief my passengers on how to survive that stupid design. I do love the lights as much as those that don't drive at night seem to hate them because they don't look good???
Got to give you the performance increase but you have to stumble onto one every now and then. Curious as to why you like performance as you were the one that called us all bad names for willingly breaking the speed limit and made sure we knew that you would drive in the left lane at 55 to keep us in check?

Most likely because the seat didn't fit their butt to their satisfaction like the last report I read.

Look again, there are some finger prints in there, mostly to answer questions of those that didn't have a set and a very few issues with the '98 that I did look up.

I'm with you, keep the C5, they are a great machine and under the right circumstances I'd have one again. Right now the C6 sits in the garage and it's cruise time in the '64 with the top down, tomorrow night a trip around the lake in the moonlight. Silly old man..............

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
On Jul 31, 4:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

YOU JUST DID ANSWER HIS POST, FOOL
AND, if you had any damn USENET common sense at all, you might understand that Dad did and still does have you killfiled. He doesn't see ANYTHING you post, but will see when someone else quotes your Bravo Sierra.
(Dave in Lake Villa)

Sorry Dave, I was only pointing out your cheap Corvette buy was not a cheap buy.
Also all of your religious posting has started to take affect, like those that hate people for what happened 2007 years ago, don't believe the same as I/you do and can never let go and live and let live. There also seems to be an overriding desire to stick my nose in someone else's business now, can I have an Amen for that?
Dad
Praise da load... Amen!!!
Ah shit I here thunder now...
Damnit Dad look what ya got me into now...
--
ZRiX
(`'..(<>..<>)..')

And then!!!! there is my all time favorite, George Carlin....... http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm or for those that can't read...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBAPbOWLxc

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Brilliant. I'm sure "Dave" is offended, but I LMFAO.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops) *
* - With the weather the way it is, it's my daily driver for now! :o)

I have the recording but didn't know if I wanted to attach it so found it easily on the net. I wanted to put a pointer to Jesse Jackson's baby hotline but I think the PC crowd have them all blocked. Way funny............
You get over this way let me know, we can get a bite to eat and gossip about the group. I'm 17.75 miles into Ohio on the TP.
Had to put the top up today so I could lock it up to go into the court house and not have the laptop stolen, (wanted to see how the speedometer and GPS speed compared). Could not hardly breath when I came back out and went to the parts store, top came down before I left there and was still sweating when I got home, 96 degrees and 85% humidity.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
And then!!!! there is my all time favorite, George Carlin....... http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm or for those that can't read...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBAPbOWLxc

"Brilliant. I'm sure "Dave" is offended, but I LMFAO. AJM"
REPLY: AJM, Its the/your personal Creator whom you dont want to exist , that is offended ; lots of foolish folks are quite brave.....this side of death. Only you can change that.
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

Maybe not, maybe so.........
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Let the little hypocrite go, Ric. Think I'll go read some David Hume. Perhaps something from Betrand Russell. Too bad there's not an IQ requirement to own a Corvette.
AJM