Tip on C5 Hard to Start

I was having some starting issues with my 2001 C5 Coupe. I would turn the key and there would be a long delay before the starter engaged. On one trip to the store it was dead and nothing happened for a long time.
I recalled a starting issue a few years ago when it was still under warranty and the dealer fixed the problem by ordering a new key. I changed keys to my backup and it starts fine now.
Who would think a worn out key would cause such a problem. Now how to obtain a replacement key. As I recall the dealer had to order one from GM

I've blown up my Z06 three times with that Nitrous Oxide bottle but I have lots of money so I don't care! LMFAO!
Scott Gilbert the SAPguru
<Scott A Gilbert SAPguru> wrote in message

Snip
So you out on parole Scott? Haven't seen you insanity in some time now.

STFU you dried up turd.
-- Scott Gilbert the SAPguru. IF YOU HAVE IT, SAP BROUGHT IT!
<Scott A Gilbert SAPguru> wrote in message

Guess not, how long you got to serve yet?

Post your address and I will come see you face to face and you can share what you think with me in person.
"Dad" wrote in message

Guess not, how long you got to serve yet? ______________
That guy is the very definition of a troll.
AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 speed (both tops)

Snip
You got that right, watch out when you reply, he tacks on other sites to spread his BS.

......................//) ....................,/../ .................../..../ .............//'...'/` ........../'/.../..../......./\ ........('(.......... ~/'...') .........\.................'...../ ..........''...\.......... _. ............\..............( ..............\.............\...

Shit box.
-- Scott Gilbert the SAPguru. IF YOU HAVE IT, SAP BROUGHT IT!

Not always so, they can be bought on line and purchased and cut at some hardware stores about $30. A good dealer will be in that range, somewhat. http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html The guy is a great help. Scroll to the bottom and if you can read an Ohms meter you can identify your key blank, there are only 15 values, and have one cut locally. Don't remember the C5 key configuration so it maybe different than what I have done. The value is sometimes stamped as a two letter identification on the key blanks. I did it this year on a 2008 Pontiac and I could program that key after a hardware store cut the key. Not always the same on car brands so check it out first.

Mine used the Double sided VATS key show on
http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html#vats
but there are no letter so I am SOL on figuring out the resistance value.

I found the following on how to read the value. Great page!!!!
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t 2598

Yep, they mention the site I used, WWW.IKEYLESS.COM

Mine is the #2 GM key 524 ohms. The local locksmith has them in stock and will cut it for me for $23.

The Pontiac key I talked about has to be trained by putting it into the ignition switch and training it like some fobs. The kicker to that setup is a dealer has to train the fob, no work around. That key blank was $25 at the hardware and I had purchased it on line for $15 along with new fobs. Since they knew how expensive the key was they wouldn't charge me to cut it so if it didn't work they didn't have to replace it. They did a great job and it trained with no problems. Still can't see how the dealers feels $160 is a reasonable price for their keys.
The $23 is more like what it should cost.
Save the wave......

The only had the small head keys in stock at the store but said the other store had the full size heads and they ordered one for me. I went back the next day and the replacement looks just like the factory key with the Chevy logo and all. The replacement works great.
The flakey key is in the trash!

Great, saved some money on that one.