Tire Pressure Monitor

Page 2 of 3

nodding in agreement...simular to many vette owners that ive dealt with that feel they must be 1st in line no matter when they drive in. always was entertaining! not a cut to cadi owners but the line has been kinda pushed to middle class of luxury cars with the onslaught of asian lux. cars....it was nice to see them come out with a p/u tho. helps keep lincoln honest.......AIMHO, kjun
Since I started this debate, here's my 2 cents. The dealer in question has done all waranty work, maintance, and repairs on both my CTS and Escalade. This amounts to thousands of dollars in revenue over the past few years. I don't have the attitude that everything should be free; the dealer's in business (like me) to make money and I have no problem paying for labor and parts. However, as previous posts prove, this is a simple 2 minute job that doesn't require any parts. Considering how much business they had from me, 2 minutes of a tech's time, without charge, seems to be a reasonable request.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070102090806020506020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Of course it is Luke.. I was the Assistant Service Manager for Mitchell Motors Cadlliac for a few years, and if I heard that from one of my Service Writers, he would of gotten reprimanded. In my experience Cadlliac owners in general are very loyal to their Dealerships for the desirable Customer Pay jobs if the warranty work period was satisfactory...
Now I don't know about the new customer base sport sedan owners and Lux SUV's. But the Joe that owned a Coupe/Sedan DeVille, Eldorado was very very loyal if they got treated right under the warranty period.
Luke wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

they don't make any money selling the things -- just servicing them. I'm convinced GM deliberately designs systems so complicated they can force you to come back to dealers to have them serviced. Owners can't even perform routine maintenance anymore because it requires special tools or filters/parts available only at the dealer. Really disgusting and one reason I've stopped having anything done except an occasional oil change because I don't keep the things past warranty anyhow.
puked:

Are you serious? That's not true in the least. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Windcat wrote:

Right! That's certainly what we do at our dealership...hang around waiting for do things for free so "you might" buy another car. People like you won't be happy anywhere anyways....so you might just as well bugger off.

How very ethical of you! Just pass your un-maintained vehicle onto the next poor shmuck eh?
Ian
Humm, and what "routine maintenance" requiring special tools are you talking about? Oil change? Nope. Air filter check? Nope. Bet you haven't even read the owners manual. What a yutz!
Windcat wrote:

Hey guys. People in here have been voicing their opinions and disagreeing for a long, long time without having to call each other names. It's been pretty nice that way.

BDragon wrote:

Yutz? That's fairly tame in the newsgroups. Of course, maybe you own the newsgroup that you are talking from and have your own set of rules.
Ian

of us just yak about Corvettes, and I guess occasionally get under someone's saddle with something about a Cadillac, which I think is what upset you. People come an go, but yes, this is a pretty civil group. Hope you enjoy it since it is usually much different than many others.
BDragon wrote:

I didn't respond with the "yutz" comment, was more just responding to your response. Usually, the only thing that gets my goat is the enormous number of people that imagine far more items on their cars ought to be repaired for free.
I'm only here because of the cross posts. Guess I'll trim out the Corvette group. Nice cars, but I have to work on the things during the day, so it's just another car to me. Though I did just take an 06 ragtop out for a spin yesterday.....I really...really...like the new Corvettes. They look better, drive better, feel better....and did I mention they look better? Unfortunately, GM has managed to make them even more difficult to work on. We have one (06) in the shop getting something done to the left fuel tank sending unit. The whole rear drivetrain has to come out, just to get the fuel tank in and out. Oh well, winter is coming and we usually don't see the Corvettes until spring and summer.
Ian

were on the road yet????
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Good practice here is: Never tell anyone where you keep your goat!
PJ
I know the comment wasn't your's, Ian. Sorry to see you go, if you do.

BDragon wrote:

I wouldn't worry, I was never really "here" anyway.
Ian
Luke wrote:

A tire pressure sensing system that needs recalibration with tire changes seems like a lot of bother and expense. A much simpler, less expensive and more reliable option would be a good tire pressure gauge stored on the glove compartment.

while driving do I not see tires that are under inflated, so having that gage in the compartment does little good unless used. With runflat tires the side walls are stiff enough that you can't visually "gage" the tire pressure. Since I like a car to run at peak tune, that includes tire pressure, it is a simple matter to check them while running down the road. I check my tire pressure nearly every time I drive the car. It took very little time to read the correct way to recalibrate the sensors and it takes less time that checking the pressure with a gage. On a trip through the Rockies I hit a sharp stone very hard and was able to bring up the tire pressure and watch it until I was where I could get safely off the road and out of traffic to check for damage. At that point the cost of the pressure sensors was cheap to say the least.
Another system I see coming on line looks even better. It senses the rotating radius of all of the tires, ties into the braking and traction control system, and if it varies enough it will bring up a "low tire pressure" message on your DIC. By utilizing the systems already in place and working with the programming it brings about a very good and inexpensive warning system.
I miss my Cadillacs - ;-(
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

How often do I check tire pressure - every time I fill up. And I'm able to run the low profile wide tread tires on my car at least 10,000 miles longer than I would otherwise. And I rotate them regularly.

True, but the same can be said for a pressure monitoring system. For many drivers it will probably end up being another check engine light to be ignored.

Anyone who thinks they can visually estimate 4 or 5 psi pressure loss with a regular radial tire is kidding themselves. Sure you can tell if a tire is at 20 psi when it should be at 35, but by then the damage is done. A simple pressure guage is apparently far more reliable that the built-in pressure sensing systems. How does the pressure monitoring system warn the average owner that it needs to be recalibrated to give a meaningful reading. That is a serious limitation for most drivers.

when they fill up, but then I've only been driving for 50+ years. How wide is wide? The 285-35-19 that I run will go way past the estimated mileage as they show on the tread depth right now for 11,000 and I don't rotate. Even when I worked in a service station in the early sixties we had to ask if the customer wanted his tires checked. Very few checked the tires and just a few had you check the oil.

a tire pressure gage, get real. Very hard to ignore and it don't shut off by it's self.

Didn't even suggest that anyone could judge the actual pressure in a regular radial tire by it's looks, my reason for making that statement is because the runflats don't show any signs of low pressure at all, regardless of the amount. I see that you have had no experience with a runflat tire and therefore no experience with a pressure monitoring system.

How do you know that? As far as the accuracy of a hand held tire gage, forget it. If you take most of them out and check the same tire with different gages of the same make they will give you varied readings. The only thing you know is that the pressure is similar in all four tires by using one gage.

Actually the Corvette system seldom needs "recalibrating" if ever, but it throws a warning if the readings vary considerably between all four tires. The pressure seems to be monitored very well as checked by an industrial dial pressure gage with a tire chuck attached, not the $1.97 trash that most people use. Of the 4 Corvettes I've had with pressure monitors I've recalibrated them maybe a half dozen time, and all of those were when I was mounting racing tires on different rims with diffrent sensors and/or switching back to street tires. After the first time they would set themselves and not require recalibration because they went to the same location.
--
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Dad wrote:

Pressure checking is not so rare at least in my area.

Nope, my point is that a pressure warning system is a tool that could be useful, but will be ignored by many and will become little more than another expensive automated gadget t ignore or figure out how to switch off. A pressure gauge will be as effective an automated warning system for most drivers. And it will be a whole lot cheaper.

Unfortunately there are a lot of drivers who have conditioned themselves to routinely ignore the check engine and engine warning lamps as well as the text messages that scroll across the dashboard display. Like the many people who continue to run out of gas after the needle has passed into the orange area AND the red warning light has gone on.

Quoting you: ...are stiff enough you can't visually "gage" the tire pressure. It is not possible to visually gauge tire pressure with any reliability under any circumstance period.

Really now. If handheld gauges are that inaccurate then how useful or accurate can we expect a pressure sensing system to be. Remember, it is nothing more than analog sensors rigged to a digital display. And how can a driver rely on such a system if it goes out of calibration with no warning. I've checked several different handheld gauges and they are plenty close enough for maintaining reasonably accurate pressure.

Your experience does not appear to be the same as the caddy owner - strange isn't it. Come to think of it I have never had a handheld analog gauge go out of calibration.

That's an "unusual" way of dealing with life, wouldn't you say?