Transmission repair on 2002 Z06

my business partner just got a 2002 Z06 as a retainer fee, car is great, and is fast as hell.

Only problem is that the 5th gear synchro is apparently messed up, you have to literally slam it into gear to get 5th. Local transmission shop says it can't be fixed, you have to replace the whole transmission, and quoted $4400. That's ridiculous! That can't possibly be true (can it?)

also...don't c5 corvettes have a rear mounted transaxle as opposed to a conventional tranny, or did i just imagine reading that somewhere?

Reply to
wabbitslayer

You are correct, the C5's have a rear mounted transaxle. Tell your partner he needs to find a different tranny shop. It obviously can be done:

TomC '90 ZR1

Reply to
Crabs

I never understood the point of 5th gear in a V8 6speed. Useless gear really, I mean its not like the car is going to pull hard in 5th unless you are going over 100. I'd run through 1-4 hard then just skip 5th and go to

6th on the highway.
Reply to
tony kujawa

Reply to
Bob I

Hey, you been there, now try a C6 in 5th. As Frank would say, "HOLY CRAP".

Reply to
Dad

well, he's probably going to sell it, given the fact that this particular car is very well known by every law enforcment officer within 100 miles. We've been trying to figure the market value w/o 5th gear versus the market value of it repaired. Then again, after a month of us driving it, it probably won't move w/o a new clutch anyway...this car is direct proof there are Gods of Speed. (hey, i drive what i thought was a quick mustang, now i'm ashamed to pull into the parking lot at work)

thanks to all that responded.

wabbitslayer

Reply to
wabbitslayer
3rd is even better from 10-100

Reply to
tony kujawa

And 5th is perfect for around town, you would lose 3-4 mpg by running around town in 4th..

FWIW for flat out speed it's d>

Reply to
RicSeyler

Have you tried to double clutch into 5th. Ought to slide right in. After all, if it worked on those old White Army 6 Xs that were around in the 50s, it ought to work on a Vette.

Reply to
TWW

"Can't be fixed" = "We don't know how to fix it."

Reply to
Vandervecken

I think you're right = this sure isn't Germany in the pictures =

Reply to
Dad