Transmission repair on 2002 Z06

my business partner just got a 2002 Z06 as a retainer fee, car is great, and is fast as hell.
Only problem is that the 5th gear synchro is apparently messed up, you
have to literally slam it into gear to get 5th. Local transmission shop says it can't be fixed, you have to replace the whole transmission, and quoted $4400. That's ridiculous! That can't possibly be true (can it?)
also...don't c5 corvettes have a rear mounted transaxle as opposed to a conventional tranny, or did i just imagine reading that somewhere?
wabbitslayer wrote:

You are correct, the C5's have a rear mounted transaxle. Tell your partner he needs to find a different tranny shop. It obviously can be done: http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_t-56_price.asp
TomC '90 ZR1

I never understood the point of 5th gear in a V8 6speed. Useless gear really, I mean its not like the car is going to pull hard in 5th unless you are going over 100. I'd run through 1-4 hard then just skip 5th and go to 6th on the highway.
5th is good from 30 to 175. Next question.
tony kujawa wrote:

Hey, you been there, now try a C6 in 5th. As Frank would say, "HOLY CRAP".

3rd is even better from 10-100

you
well, he's probably going to sell it, given the fact that this particular car is very well known by every law enforcment officer within 100 miles. We've been trying to figure the market value w/o 5th gear versus the market value of it repaired. Then again, after a month of us driving it, it probably won't move w/o a new clutch anyway...this car is direct proof there are Gods of Speed. (hey, i drive what i thought was a quick mustang, now i'm ashamed to pull into the parking lot at work)
thanks to all that responded.
wabbitslayer

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040103020802010900020001 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
And 5th is perfect for around town, you would lose 3-4 mpg by running around town in 4th..
FWIW for flat out speed it's done in 5th, not 6th.....
tony kujawa wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Have you tried to double clutch into 5th. Ought to slide right in. After all, if it worked on those old White Army 6 Xs that were around in the 50s, it ought to work on a Vette.

"Can't be fixed" = "We don't know how to fix it."
--

I think you're right = this sure isn't Germany in the pictures http://adamsocb.home.mindspring.com/c5trans.htm