Trickle Charging a C7 battery

The re-branded CTEK charger is an excellent charger, and similar to the one I am using. I can do without the C& logo and extra price premium. If there is one thing a C7 does not need, it is any additional attempts to grab attention with C7 logos. This C7 is a magnet for drawing anybody and everybody's attention,

For whatever it is worth, BTW, the CTEK charging through the trunk auxiliary port is working out great. Very nice way to keep it charged. The only very minor problem is to be sure the trunk lid is down far enough to prevent the interior trunk lamps from illuminating / drawing power, while at the same time not applying a lot of crushing force on the CTEK cable which is coming out of the trunk to the charger.

Reply to
Smarty

...you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:

All cheap at half the price...

I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's battery. Other than the fob...

Reply to
Rufus

[snip]

I'm glad that it's working out for Smarty and agree that if they are going to put the charging port (actually, it's nothing more than an "always on" power port inside the vehicle, there should be a way to connect the damn thing so that you can lock up the car without having to worry about crushing the power cord.

On my C5, obviously, the cord from the maintainer slips neatly beneath the weather stripping at the cowl. I don't lock the hood since the car is stored in a locked, alarmed garage but I could. I just lower it gently assuring that the underhood light doesn't illuminate

Unless you lay the car up for months at a time (or weeks, in frigid weather like we've had in the Midwest) you probably won't need it if stored for less than 10-14 days at a time.

Still, there are enough Corvette fanatics who park their Vette's in Mid-October never to move them again until April or...

I don't care who they are or where they are, if they leave the battery in the car it will be DOA when they attempt to start it. Not to mention the fact that they'll have that puzzled look on their face when they start to notice seals leaking on the car.

Mine stays on the maintainer over the winter and gets a 10-15 mile run about every month even over the winter. I just pick a clear, dry day and go for it.

Lastly, I guarantee you that the Black & Decker and Schauer battery maintainers I use on my car and lawn tractor are just as fine as anything bearing the Corvette logo.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It would make even more sense to put it beside or behind the rear license plate - given that they took the time to stick it under the C7's hatch...jus' sayin'...

True...grew up there, that's why I live in SoCal now. So I probably drive my Z06 at least once every couple weeks. Mostly off the hi-dez into LA and back. Or to Vegas...

...but my '87 OTOH moves about once per quarter, max. I think I end up charging it about twice a year on average.

In the desert it's generally heat that does a battery in - they tend to last about three years on average, car/motorcycle/etc. in use or not. We generally swap them out at the fist sign of balking -

I should do that more with my '87, but it pretty much just takes up space these days...planning on trading it away soon anyway.

Anything that gets the job done...no need to gold-plate it.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
barrycsllc