Try To Wipe The Smile Off My Face!!!

Page 1 of 2
Hi gang! I just got behind the wheel of the new Z06 for the first time and I cannot wipe this silly grin off my face!!! What a machine! I bought a 2001
Z06 when they first came out and I thought that its 385 h.p. was impressive. But it doesn't come near the performance of the Lemans Blue Metallic machine I drove today. I was amazed not only by the acceleration, but also the stopping power. What an improvement since the '01. I dropped her in "Competition Mode" and the responsiveness was simply amazing, a fine line between breaking her loose and getting maximum torque pinning you back in the seat. It even has a readout of how many G's you're pulling and in which direction! I am sooo impressed. I'll probably be keeping my '63 roadster forever, but it's time to seriously consider updating the Z06. I'm in love!

I kinda like the way competition mode will allow you to lay black marks and not break it loose. Mean time your head is in the back some place.
--

Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

I went to St Pete Chevy dealer to look at an 06 convertible, I guess I'll be selling my 01 Convertible, not much trade in with 106k on the odo. Anyway there was a guy getting into a yellow ZO6, just bought it $20k over sticker- $91,000 Duh Anyway he flew in from Seattle and was heading home in it, Have a nice drive ,
kickstart
'Hi gang! I just got behind the wheel of the new Z06 for the first time and I cannot wipe this silly grin off my face!!! What a machine! I bought a 2001 Z06 when they first came out and I thought that its 385 h.p. was impressive. But it doesn't come near the performance of the Lemans Blue Metallic machine I drove today. I was amazed not only by the acceleration, but also the stopping power. What an improvement since the '01. I dropped her in "Competition Mode" and the responsiveness was simply amazing, a fine line between breaking her loose and getting maximum torque pinning you back in the seat. It even has a readout of how many G's you're pulling and in which direction! I am sooo impressed. I'll probably be keeping my '63 roadster forever, but it's time to seriously consider updating the Z06. I'm in love! '
REPLY: Every magazine article ive read that compares the 06/zo6 to the new Viper and GT40 , has favored the ZO6 ; it must be a tremendous value for the price. SPeaking of price, i think you should wait quite awhile before ordering one -- it shall take some time before you get it at msrp ($65-69 k. depending on options). Anyway, id like to hear a bit more about how it handled , how it shifted, the interior fit and finish , and the sound it makes when those exhaust pipe valves swing open at WOT.

I'm up in Canada and the sticker here on the Z06 I drove, as optioned was just a shade over $ 92K Canadian. Dave, I have to be honest with you - I really didn't pay any attention to the fit and finish, other than to observe that the cockpit struck me as very spartan, which I liked. I didn't even turn on the stereo because I had the windows down and was lapping up the cool sound of the throaty exhaust burble. My initial reaction to the clutch was that it was too soft, more like you'd expect in an econobox, but after a few burnouts and some highway miles, I found that despite the soft clutch pedal, the shifter almost clicked into each gear on its own - all I had to do was guide it in the general direction of the next gear and it just snapped into place. Very smooth. And much better than the '01. Actually, the way it snaps into gear feels alot like my '63.
I put some fast laps on it on some rural concession roads and it handled really well on the twisties. I pushed it pretty hard through one section that I'm really familiar (the temp. got up to 210 degrees for a short period - yikes!) with and I was truly impressed with the grip - much superior to the '01. In town, it was difficult to go WOT for more than a few seconds but when I did, it just smoked the tires every time. The sound was simply amazing.
[...]
REPLY: Were you able to get it into 6th gear ? Once in 6th, did it labor upon acceleration ?
'I pushed it pretty hard through one section that I'm really familiar (the temp. got up to 210 degrees for a short period - yikes!)'
REPLY: What was the temp holding at during normal cruise speed ?
Where on the rpm band did you notice the most power ?
Thanks, Dave

Yes, I did slide it into 6th gear at around 75 m.p.h. and I was surprised to find that it didn't lug as much as my '01. That's presumably because of the increased h.p. & torque curve. But 5th was much quicker acceleration & 4th even better.

The temperature ran between 185-190 during normal cruising.

Dave, the torque curve was impressive from idle through to the 7000 redline, but I would say that it dropped off a bit above 6000.

Not if you're over 140, but then why would you use 6th gear to accelerate? The reason for a manual transmission is to allow you to select the proper gear, if you can't, buy the automatic. Personally I use 6th gear more than I ever thought I would, pulls right smartly.

As a side note on the C6, not the Z06, I've never seen 185 at a cursing temperature.

Have you ever driven a manual shift V8 dave? Let us know why you would ask the question, what are you eluding to? You have to know that the band that the usable power was obvious and changes when you change gears. In other words there is not much power in 6th gear at 2,000 rpm, but then that same rpm in first is a killer.

Again, it depends on which gear you're in, in the lower gears you will hit the rev limiter during acceleration before you can even notice any drop in power.

========== The first time I hit that limiter it scared the hell out of me... though I done broke the engine on my new 95...
I would have to assume both the C5 & C6 will do the same.. both hove more torque and much more horsepower...
Don't take too long to get the "feel" however I still hit the limit in first now and then... .
Bob G.
'The first time I hit that limiter it scared the hell out of me... though I done broke the engine on my new 95... I would have to assume both the C5 & C6 will do the same.. both hove more torque and much more horsepower... Don't take too long to get the "feel" however I still hit the limit in first now and then... . Bob G. '
REPLY: I read the 06/ZO6 hits redline in first gear at 58 mph. My friends 1999 Viper hit his redline in first at 62 mph just for a comparison.

I try to stay out of the rev limiter, just don't sound good and means I'm not in charge. One of the claims to fame for the Z06 is that its 0-60 is done in first gear. Haven't had anyone tell me they have done that yet nor have I figured out if the numbers say it can be done. Most of the people from GM powertrain that I talk to were at a funeral home last night so I was unable to confirm that. So far those that have been actually dyno'ed have shown that they are running about 510/520 HP instead of 505. The torque management is a problem right now until there is a good tuner program available. Chevrolet did achieve a wide and flat power band and there are new cams already in the works. Computer management and cams both will still suffer from the need to meet unseen agendas at GM. The first independent dyno's see the stock Z06 peak HP coming at about 4800 and the peak torque at about 6000 through 6500 before it starts to drop off.
Most all of this information is on the net and has been, but it takes a little search to find it. Or you can just ask questions and let someone else look it up dave.
I still marvel at someone being able to drive one and flog it, what a dealer.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
'Most all of this information is on the net and has been, but it takes a little search to find it. Or you can just ask questions and let someone else look it up dave.'
REPLY: Uncalled for guff Dad. Thank you for the other useful info though.
dave wrote:

Get over it and do some work for yourself.
Not your mother.
''Most all of this information is on the net and has been, but it takes a little search to find it. Or you can just ask questions and let someone else look it up dave.'
REPLY: Uncalled for guff Dad. Thank you for the other useful info though.
Get over it and do some work for yourself. Not your mother.
'Most all of this information is on the net and has been, but it takes a little search to find it. Or you can just ask questions and let someone else look it up dave.'
REPLY: Uncalled for guff Dad. Thank you for the other useful info though.
Get over it and do some work for yourself. Not your mother.
LAST REPLY: I didnt ask for 'what' the maximum torque was on the 06/zo6...i asked the original poster IF HE COULD FEEL the difference in the rpm band ; pay attention and stop with the condescending attitude...or leave at once in search of a new life.

Not quite right Dad. My son is a District Sales Manager at GM and he had the car for 2 days, taking it around to his dealers. He and some senior GM people also took it out to a local track before I got to drive it, so it was pretty well tuned.
Or you can just ask questions and let someone else look it up dave. (He's too lazy n stupid) I still marvel at someone being able to drive one and flog it (hee hee)..K
'Have you ever driven a manual shift V8 dave? Let us know why you would ask the question, what are you eluding to? You have to know that the band that the usable power was obvious and changes when you change gears. In other words there is not much power in 6th gear at 2,000 rpm, but then that same rpm in first is a killer.'
Reply: I have a 1970 BB Vette 4 speed so yes, Ive driven a manual shift V8 -- (youve been very respectful as of late Dad and i hope youre not going to get uppity and blow it. Im not interested in dueling with you anymore) . My car , for instance...given its 370 rear gear , cam duration , etc...with maximum torque coming in around 4500 rpm, pulls extremely strong from 1500 to 4500 rpm then falls off a bit. My friends 1999 Viper with its 307 rear gear , cam selection, etc...pulls extremely strong above 4000 rpms . I was interested in knowing on the 06/ZO6 if it pulls extremely strong above 5000 rpm for instance. Thats what i was getting at, and, the OP gave answer to that .
<<<youve been very respectful as of late Dad and i hope youre not going to get uppity and blow it. Im not interested in dueling with you anymore>>>
Dave you're an asshole you've always been an asshole and you always will be an asshole
Dad wrote:

The power band on the engine does not change with what gear your in. It can certainly accelerate better in a lower gear (especially if your out of power band) but the actual RPM where maximum horsepower and maximum torque and the area where the "bump" in power occurs (commonly referred to as the power band) does not change. You can just feel it differently.
BTW.. I have been driving V8 manuals since I was 17 (many years ago) and I currently not only have my Vette, but I have an 87 IROC camaro with a supercharged 383ci small block (yes with a stick shift) currently sitting in the garage. I have and do a lot of real racing on real race tracks with real race cars (not street cars on a track).