Vacuum operated headlights

Hi all, '75 model. My manual doesn't give instructions or vacuum values for troubleshooting a sluggish headlight system. Right light is sluggish when
it works and the left light needs human assist for any up/down movement. It does say that defective vacuum actuators can be removed thru the hole created by removing decorative front grill. I don't see how the things can get past the large tubular vacuum tank. I hope I don't have to remove the hood to replace those items. TIA
W. Moore wrote:

I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I do know there's a book on the subject; here's links to a couple of articles, one of which references that book:
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0212vet_intothevoid / http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0303VET_VacuumSys /
Hi Wayne, Thanks for the links. The first link talks about the general idea that vacuum systems fail over time; the second link is an advertisement for a book on vacuum systems; and the third link talks about repairing the vacuum system that operates wiper doors on a '72. I couldn't access info on revamping vacuum operated headlights that was a feature article in the Feb. 03 issue of Vette magazine, the link info. source. If you have a subscription would you mind sending along a link for that issue ? TIA.

when
It
can
the
W. Moore wrote:

Should be pretty much the same as your system, I think.

I do have a subscription, and that issue, but I don't understand how that would enable me to give you a web link to part II of the article... I couldn't find that installment on their website, either.
In part II they chose to replace every part that Mid America carries (including both sets of actuator relays and actuators, and all linkage springs), but recommend the troubleshooting book (The Vacuum System Troubleshooting Guide by Frank C. Prow, also available through Mid America), and a vacuum gauge, to determine the specific parts you need.

W. Moore wrote:

More links to info:
http://vetteworks.tripod.com/techdocuments/Vaccum.html http://www.vettevacuum.com/troubleshooting_guide.htm
Hi there, I have a 76 that had sort of the same problem. Left side was much slower than right side.
Replace the main vacuum line going from the reserve tank up to the check valve, it has probably weakened after 30 years ($0.25/foot at most auto stores). Replace the check valve and the filter near the engine (you can temporarily remove and bypass the filter with a single vacuum hose until the new filter arrives). Before you assume that you need to replace the actuators and valves, do what I did. Squirt the boot seals on the acutators with WD-40. Remove the valves and blow them out (carefully) with compressed air and WD-40 them too.
Good luck, Mark