VIN Number

I recently changed insurance companies and they are saying that the VIN on my '81 vette does not match the year range. They claim it to be a '78. We bought it used several years back from an individual that bought it used
from a car lot. Is there a site that I can look up numbers and check them out? Thanks

Post your vin except the last few numbers and I'll look it up. There are many group members in here that can do that and it would be a good cross check. You may have just a misread number by some clerk or computer recognition program.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

VIN 1G1AY8764BS420** Would the VIN be placed anywhere else on the car or frame?
Thanks,
Plug it in here http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm
1G1AY8764BS420
See the results http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?Mode code&VIN=1G1AY8764BS420111&Submitcode
1 G 1 A Y 8 7 6 4 B S 420 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
1st digit: Country of origin: 1 = USA, 2 = Canada. 2nd digit: G = General Motors 3rd digit: Division, 1 = Chevrolet. 4th digit: Restraint system: A = Non-passive, B = Automatic belts, C = Inflatable restraint 5th digit: Series: P = Camaro Sport Coupe, S = Camaro Berlinetta Y Corvette 6th & 7th digit: Body Style: 87 = Sport Coupe 8th digit: Engine : See specific year for breakdown. 9th digit: Check digit - used to verify that the VIN was recorded correctly. 10th digit: Year: B = 1981 11th digit: Letter indicating assembly plant S = St. Louis, 5 = Bowling Green 12th through 17th digits: Sequential production number starting with 400001.
This format began 1981, so it is impossible to be a 1978 car.
The VIN format for a 1978 Corvette is 1Z87L8S400001 where
1st digit: GM line number, Chevrolet = 1. 2nd digit: Series number: Q = Sport Coupe, S = Type LT (1973 - 78), S = Berlinetta (1979 - 80) 3rd and 4th digits: Body type: 87 = Sport Coupe. 5th digit: Engine Code: See specific year for breakdown. 6th digit: Last digit of model year. i.e. 3 = 1973. 7th digit: Letter indicating assembly plant L = Van Nuys, California, N = Norwood, Ohio S = St. Louis, 8th through 13th digits: Sequential production number starting with 100001.
Borrowed and modified from http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.html

http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.html
The format for 1972 to 1980 VIN's is as follows: 1st digit: GM line number, Chevrolet = 1. 2nd digit: Series number: Q = Sport Coupe, S = Type LT (1973 - 78), S = Berlinetta (1979 - 80) 3rd and 4th digits: Body type: 87 = Sport Coupe. 5th digit: Engine Code: See specific year (camaro info) for breakdown. 6th digit: Last digit of model year. i.e. 3 = 1973. 7th digit: Letter indicating assembly plant L = Van Nuys, California, N = Norwood, Ohio 8th through 13th digits: Sequential production number starting with 100001.
1G1AY8764BS420** the 6th number is an # 8 that would be a 78
g'luck
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people