What's your trip fuel economy record(not instantaneous)?

Here's mine

It was all highway mostly downhill and my car has a 0.27 coefficient of drag.

The funny thing is that my car is only supposed to get 28 MPG under the NEW EPA standards and 30 MPG under the old standards on the highway. If everyone else actually drove the speed limit, they too could get fuel economy like me even without a hybrid. This is about how much highway range my car has with a 16.4 gallon tank that wasn't even 95% full.

I got about 27.2 MPG on my last tank with mostly city driving with a

3300lbs car. If I was doing highway, I'd have gotten about 40mpg.

My trip record in MIXED driving is only 35.4 MPG, but I have a 3300lbs car that's a non-hybrid so what more can I do. I accelerate slowly, and accelerate downhill whenever possible, maintain constant throttle(not constant speed) uphill, always coast to yellow and red lights, avoid brakes as much as possible, fill up at the coldest time of the day, always keep the windows up on the highway and don't use the AC unless it's as hot as hell, keep tires inflated to at least 36 psi, use ultra low rolling resistence tires, get a new gas cap every year. make sure I don't have any exta junk adding even an extra ounce of weight in the car, have a clean air filter, clean MAFS, etc. I'm thinking of getting ultra light weight steel wheels and super aerodynamic moondisc wheels, rear wheelwell fender skirt, lowering my car, and getting and ultra aerodynamic antenna if gas goes past $5 a gallon. If all Americans were sensible in their vehicle and driving choices, we wouldn't need to import ANY oil from hostile nations, and we wouldn't need oil wars.

Reply to
Sal

SAL SAL Sal hey Sal eat the peanuts out of my shit eh......

Reply to
ZÿRiX

REPLY: I dont know of ANY other car that has 400 gross h.p. yet gets a consistent 27 mpg on the highway , than a C6 Corvette . Im quite happy with that.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Porsche GT2 is FASTER and gets better fuel economy than the Corvette ZO6

Reply to
Sal

Sal wrote in

And my Nissan Micra gets better fuel economy than both.

Reply to
chippie

My Cub Cadet mows more grass than either one of them.

Reply to
Dad

And my Moped gets 80mpg and has more class then either of them......

Reply to
nada

I don't do as well. With an outrageous drag coefficient (estimated at about .95) my Specialized-Globe hybrid bike gets about 18 miles on a single Big Mac (no fries).

I might be able to improve on that with Bell's latest helmet and some new Oakleys. 8-)

Then, there's always the bean burrito option which provides some "propulsive augmentation."

-- pj

Reply to
pj

How often do you drive when you could walk, bicycle or take public transportation?

Reply to
john

Hey, how about snipping the irrelevant text and saving us some trouble, eh?

Reply to
john

I get similar milage on my Globe, only mine runs on fish tacos and Thai food. What year is your's, mine's a 98, weighs about 40lbs, but is a great city and going to market bike.

JS

Reply to
John Smith

Big crosspost mess here ... let's pull this back into the 'vette group.

-------- Good fuel! Didn't know the East coast had crunchy cabbage and fresh limes for Fish tacos.

Got the Globe in '06 shortly after they were bought by Specialized. Lo-priced aluminum Sport model...no carbon-fibre. Weight, with basket & a few grocery items is in low 30's.

Not totally sold on the hybrid frame. Still like my 30+ year-old Motobecane road frame w/padded seat.

To get this back into the ng ... looking to retire the truck and want to carry the bike on the C4 .... any ideas? Local bike-shop guy hates roof mounts (he once used a $$$ bike to remove a low-hanging tree branch). He wants me to install hitch and go with a rear-mount rack. Any experiences??

Anyone try a second roof panel fitted with a roof rack???

-- pj

John Smith wrote:

Reply to
pj

Hitch and rack should be great... I use to live in Cali and go to long beach to ride and had my bikes on a hitch mount on my SUV and would always meet up with this other guy with a C4 and a hitch mount bike rack... Myself I use the Hollywood hitch rack and it works great...

Links below should help you get started...

Hitch:

Rack:

ZÿRiX

At all times my preference is for a Trailer Hitch & rear mounted rack. It kills multiple birds with one stone. A Trailer Hitch is always a nice thing to have and expands your capabilities greatly (you can always put your bike on a little trailer as well). With a Roof-Rack you have, well a roof rack that isn't of much use for anything other then the bike(s). Not to mention the pain in the ass of getting them up & down.

Reply to
Zombywoof

And my new Stihl 4-stroke Hybrid can run all afternoon on a pint of gas! Gallons per day works out to 0.145 gallons! I don't think an electric car can do that.

Reply to
Spud

Reply to
john

I have general-purpose roof racks on two of my vehicles, and I set the bikes on their side with a couple rags to level them and protect the roof where something might poke through the slats. Why does a bike to be upright? Hasn't screwed up anything so far.

-- AH #2

Reply to
john

I'm reading this in the Nissan group, I'm not too familiar with the C4 but I just put a hitch mount on my 03 Maxima. Had U-Haul do the install and use the Hollywood Pro-Rider hitch rack, same brand as suggested by ZyRix.

My Globe is a heavy aluminum frame like PJ's but my other bike is a carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix so I went with the wheel cradle/fork mount type instead of the hanger type bike rack (so not to put stresses on or scratch the carbon fiber). So far no complaints with the set-up.

Even though I have one, one concern I've heard with hitch mounts is that if you back into something with the hitch installed or get hit from behind, the collision by-passes your bumper and goes straight to whatever the hitch is bolted to. Could lead to expensive repairs.

JS

Reply to
John Smith

I sure wouldn't want to follow you down the highway; very frustrating. All that hot air behind you would even make it worse. BTW I save much gas by simply not using my car.

Reply to
who

But probably puts out much more pollution.

Reply to
who