Whats the fastest car youve been in : 10 second, 9 second, faster ??

Page 1 of 2
For myself, I havent been in anything faster than a 12 second car ; however, im going to a local DragStrip in a couple weeks and was thinking of buying my way as a passenger for a 9 second ride down the
lane. Will the DragStrip allow passengers in a 9 second car , and, how much money would be incentive enough for a driver to let me be a passenger for one pass ? Thanks.
A 9 sec car has certain NHRA/AHRA restrictions... Roll cage points, scatter shield, drive shaft loop, seat and belts yada yada, I would think the car would HAVE to be equipped to pass tech for 2 passengers. Like a promotional car or sumpin. A reg 9 sec car, you won't be allowed to ride along. IMO.
I had a friend that had a 10 sec Nova. I made a couple passes in it. You can really get the sense of speed even on a wide dragstrip.
dave wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I had a 9 second ride in the back seat of a '60 Impala, still paying for it, but at least I don't have to take shots.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

I'm following ya ol man
kickstart

scatter
equipped to

car, you

can
it, but

Would the payment for nine seconds in the back seat be child support payments, Dad?
wrote in message

Nah, just they pain you feel from lost love even after 23 years. My youngest son is 41 so no cash changed hands and money isn't how you pay in the dearest manner.
--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
Dad wrote:

What happened Dad, a wreck?
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I have a 9 second Volkswagen Karmann Ghia that you can ridde in if you help me push start it. (It takes 9 seconds for the oil light to go off ;-))
Homer
'I have a 9 second Volkswagen Karmann Ghia that you can ridde in if you help me push start it. (It takes 9 seconds for the oil light to go off ;-)) Homer'
REPLY: Thanks for the proposal, but, what i had in mind was something where the front wheels would lift off the ground . (please dont tell me youd be willing to jack up your VW for me if i helped you push start it !). Dave.
'I had a friend that had a 10 sec Nova. I made a couple passes in it. You can really get the sense of speed even on a wide dragstrip. '
REPLY: Ill bet a 10 second ride really throws you back in the seat ! That would be around 700 h.p. to do 10 sec. flat id imagine. Might be hard for me to find someone with a passenger seat at the Strip whos got a machine like that , but, im going to keep my eyes open. Sure would like to experience it.
Dave
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:22:53 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Hang out at the strip and make a few friends. Perhaps you can drive one of the beasts. I have a few friends that are into that sort of thing and at various times most of us have earned a thrill ride or two.
Yes, you're in your seat for the short ride. The best short ride I've had was in a friend's dragster that I helped him rebuild. He let me take two passes last summer. Best 5.5 seconds on the 1/8th mile for me. He was breaking in the car and I was slow off the mark. I was grinning ear to ear. The race tracks (think Indy) let you take a few laps in your own car (rather cheap) or during certain times of the year to rent a real beast. It is rather costly but worth the ride. Even tending to such beasts is worth it.
David
dave wrote:

Dave:
    I used to have a street racer '67 Vette with an aluminum headed, aluminum rodded, 468 cu. in. full roller motor, with a Dominator carb and using a custom nitrous unit that went 9.82 @ 143.     As far as a track letting you ride as a passenger, that would entirely depend on the track and probably the specific terms of their insurance. I would tend to doubt that very many tracks sanctioned by NHRA, or other large organizations, would allow you to do so. But if you found some small out of the way track you might be able to talk them into it.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
'I used to have a street racer '67 Vette with an aluminum headed, aluminum rodded, 468 cu. in. full roller motor, with a Dominator carb and using a custom nitrous unit that went 9.82 @ 143.'
REPLY: Bob, Ill bet that was one fast ride and you surprised alot of people you raced on the street ; did anyone ever beat you on the street (or at the Strip) ?? I think not. Ive got a 468 cid , full roller naturally aspirated motor with Mighty Demon Carb in my 1970 Vette at approx. 540 h.p./600 tq. gross ; to me...that is scary fast. I can only imagine mashing a 9.82 second machine !
dave wrote:

Dave:
    Heh, surprised some, got surprised by others.

    Well having a fast car is not a guarantee of winning a street race, since a great majority of street races are "handicap" starts. One person or the other giving "car lengths" to the supposedly slower car.     I seldom went to the strip, and when I did it was usually on an "off" day where I rented the track. The secret of winning money street races is to make your car seem slower than it really is, so it wouldn't do to have people know exactly how fast your car is.

    Now THAT sounds like a cool ride. I've never used a Demon Carb, what CFM do they come in?
PS I'm going to E-mail you my "Street Race Story", that I wrote some years ago. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I hope your WebTV address is valid, and will get it. I'd post it in here (and I have in the past), but glorifying what is essentially an illegal activity might ruffle some feathers. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
'I've never used a Demon Carb, what CFM do they come in?'
REPLY: They go all the way up to the King Demon ; i think they just came out with a new King Demon 1200 or 1300 cfm ! Mine is an 800 cfm Mighty Demon (without choke horn), dp, mech secs, annular boosters for great low end power especially. I can be in 3rd gear at 2500 rpms , mash the pedal, and break the 255/60/15's loose. Ill look for your email. I think it just came in !
dave wrote:

Just about any CMF you can imagine, and they even offer an adjustable one with replaceable ventuis. They also make a sweet 3 2bbl setup. But $$$..

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

'I ran a Vega once with times in the low 8 sec. I think I still have a slip around, 8.16 or something like that.'
REPLY: What it heavily nitrous'd ? How much h.p/tq . just out of curiousity ?
All stock. Ran it at Pevely one weekend. I-55 Dragway.

puked:

A stock 8 second Vega? I don't think a stock one can do 8 seconds in free fall... ;)