Wheel question for 65 vette

I just purchased a set of 15x8 rallys for my '65 vette. I was told by the manufacturer they would fit. The front fits, but the rear ones are hitting on the inside. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the remedy? Should I try spacers?

Reply to
tony wright

First you need to tell us where they are hitting. Spring, frame, body, trailing arm, brake cable bracket, brake caliper, etc.

It is very important that you are able to thread the lug nuts on at least the depth equal to the stud diameter, i.e., if 7/16th dia, then thread on at least 7/16th inch deep. Spacers reduce the ability to do this when using tapered seat lug nuts and that is all you can use with steel wheels.

The factory 8 inch rally should have 3-9/16 spacing from the edge of the bead to the backside of the mounting face.

15x8 AZ 3-9/16 15x7 AG 3-5/16 15x6 DC 3-1/8

Monte Carlo

15x7 FW 3-7/8 Usually hit the spring.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I have to use spacers with that size wheel, but I also replaced all the studs so I could get the lugs on far enough to do the job. If you don't replace the studs, you can't get the lugs threaded on far enough for safety.

Reply to
BDragon

what hits ? the wheel or the tire ? I had 15x8 on my 66 , never hit anything -front or back Maybe my tires were smaller/narrower

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

My tires are 255x60x15s. Without the spacers, the rear tire fixed itself solidly everywhere and wouldn't move. The fronts would hit anytime the wheel was turned more than a few degrees left or right. Spacers on both front and rear fixed the problem.

Reply to
BDragon

Well, let's think abut this a minute. The original tire on a '66 was a

7.75-15. These were around an 80 percent aspect ratio. The section width was roughly 7.75 inches. They fit in a wheelwell designed around a 6.70-15 tire. Snuggly.

The 255-60x15 is tread width 8.00 inches, section width 10.25 inches, and

27.1 diameter, on the average. Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited.

Do you see a problem? Understand why so many Corvettes in the '60s and '70s had flared fenders? Where did you come up with the idea you could fit a

255/60-15 in there? Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited.

The equivalents of a 7.75-15 are F60-15, F70-15, F78-15, 225/60-15,

205/17-15, and 195/80-15.
affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other thanalt.autos.corvette prohibited. The Sting Ray used a narrow tire. The "big" tire for the era was an 8.55-15 and it would not fit. It was designed around a 6.70-15 tire. One modification to the Grand Sports was to widen the wheel well to allow the 8.55 in a race tire. Even that was not enough as they found in the first few outings and they flared the fenders in almost no time.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Excellent message all round Tom!!! "Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited"

Reply to
StingRay

Reply to
RicSeyler

"Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited" The reason a 255/60-15 fits in the wheelwell of the '78 up Corvettes are threefold:

- The rear quarters are wider than '77 and older.

- The front half of the front fender lip is shaved off at the factory for those cars getting the 255/60-15 optional tires.

- the emergency brake cable bracket on the trailing arm was moved.

The 245/60-15 is a full fit in most '68-'77 and the 235/60-15 is a much better fit.

And the '68-82 have full radius fender openings. "Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited"

I know of a guy in St. Louis who ran G60-15 (equiv of 245/60-15) on 8 inch Rally wheels on a '66 coupe. Two things were in his favor: He shaved the inner lip and he got lucky. He was also a fairly hardcore autocrosser who pushed the limits so he could go faster. "Not affiliated with JLA Enterprises - mirroring on sites other than alt.autos.corvette prohibited"

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I also did the aspect ratios before purchasing the tires. I used a 3/8 spacer and the only problem I have is that they fit and ride perfectly.

Reply to
BDragon

Since when did alt.autos.corvette become a site?

Do you even have one concept of what a USENET group is and how it works?

Alt.autos.corvette is not a website nor managed/governed by anyone. It is a public group that only exists because the 10's of thousands or millions of NNTP servers across the globe have decided to carry the group and then make it available to their subscribers via newsreader or web access (wait...would that mean they are making money off of you?) Some keep your posts on their servers forever, some remove them after a week. Google keeps them forever.

That is it. If you do not want your post to appear on servers/sites that carry the alt.autos.corvette USENET group, then do not post anything and quit your crying.

Take a Zoloft or something, it might make you feel better

Reply to
Richard Padilla

Curiouser and curiouser how we don't remember you around before the ruckus on JLA.

So is this you?

Fred ain't dead, just looks li

It appears that Richard is more a "USENET" expert than a Corvette aficionado. Funny, I don't remember seeing Richard in here before the JLA ruckus either. Hmmm, this gives rise to another conspiracy theory!

Reply to
StingRay

Which also gives him the ability to put anything he wants in his posts.

Richard Padilla wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler