Where are the C6 racers

Spent the weekend at our autocross that our club puts on each year and besides being hot for 2 days standing on asphalt there seems to me to be a lack of C6 participation.

After the C5 came out in 3 years there were numerous C5s out there and many more with the Z06 being added the next year. The C6 has been out now into its fourth year with 2 weak years for the Z06 and there is now just a few showing up. Plus their times are being pushed by the older C5s.

Without getting into the pissing match about car modification and all the other excuses why has the racing crowd not received the C6?

Talking with some of the skilled drivers that have driven both they think the C6 just doesn?t have the same ?personality? for autocross as the C5. He then went out and borrowed a ?07 Z06 and run second fastest time for the weekend only to be beat out later by a C4. Last year one of the top drivers drove my C6 and their feeling was that it was too heavy. The figures I have put that heavy remark at 6 pounds with a 5 (?) hp difference, pretty good seat of the pants analyses.

Fun weekend with lots of good Corvette folks, and a few dick heads to keep you on your toes.

Reply to
Dad

I heard that Greendot Bruce Wentzel kicked butt with his '06 C6 Z06 at the NCCC convention last year. On the same note, I heard that he had a lot of mechanical (engine) problems with the new '07 Z06.

Maybe that is an issue.

BTW, did you take the '64 to that autocross to play around or the '72? Sometimes it is fun to take the old stuff, when you know there is no chance of winning, just for fun.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Like I said, don't want to talk about the mods that make the big dogs fast. You picked a car that is run by a racing company and I'm sure they didn't have anything that wasn't tweaked to the max plus a good driver. The question still is where is the acceptance of the C6 at the autocross tracks regardless of the exception mentioned?

By the way, there was 6 seconds between him and second place in the high speed event. Other groups had 21-23 seconds difference between first and second on the same course. Plus there was only 5 seconds between him in I M and Shannon running II A/B, 3 of those top 5 drivers were at our event this weekend. On the low speed event there were the top 3 drivers at our event. One of those drivers was within a half second of Wentzel's time driving a '71 that has seen it's better days.

Took the C6 Saturday and the '64 Sunday but did not run a car without power steering or power brakes although thought about running it just to be the only car there that wasn't pushing the rules.

Reply to
Dad