White Smoke coming from Exhaust

I have a 1990 corvette....when I start the vehicle I get white smoke from the exhaust..is this die to a bad head gasket..cracked head..etc...what can I check to determine what the problem could be without spending
hundreds at a garage
Thanks in advance to all....... Eric
Mustang_69 wrote:

overnight...probably minor valve guide seal leakage. Typical as L98s age. (Some new L98s did the same.) When my L98 sat for over a week it always threw white smoke. Now that it's being driven 3-4 times a week there's less white smoke.) (58K miles on the engine since new.)
Don't know if the '90 used a PCV filter (the '89 did not.) If so, replace it along with the PCV valve.
Otherwise: Rule out gasket -- Any oil in the coolant? Any coolant consumption?
After that, pull the plugs (number which cylinder each came from) and visually check. If you don't know what you are seeing, have a trusted mechanic look at them.
Take a critical look at oil consumption. If it's over a quart every 2K, consider the type of driving and maybe see a mechanic.
--
PJ

correct me if I am wrong, but if its valve guide seal leakage? wouldn't the smoke be blue ?
--
"Key"
========