Winter Storage Questions

Living in Maine, my vette will be in storage in an unheated garage for the winter months. Should I drain the gas tank or just use an additive & frequently start it up? Also, I planned on covering it with a Coverking Satin Stretch cover. Does anybody know just how good this cover is at dust protection? The reviews I've read are all favorable, but, few mention dust. Thanks.

Reply to
J R

Mine was in storage in NH for 5 years.

I started it once every 6 months - battery charger needed. I changed 10 gallons of the gas out once a year.

Surround it with open containers of the evil green "mouse food" - it saved mine.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Just add Sta-bil to the gas tank then run it for a few minutes to be sure it gets into the fuel line and carb/injectors . Dont just start it up occassionally, but, take it for a spin and get it up to operating temp. That is very important.

Reply to
ilbebauck

How long are your winters? If 3 mos or so of frozen roads, I would just disconnect the battery and let it sit.

Starting the engine without fully warming it up may not be the best. Storage over winter is not really that long. You might ask your dealer but I bet they say to not worry about it either.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

More like 4-5 months if he waits for the spring rains to wash all the salt off the roads.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

I would probably put it away in oct.-nov., depending on the weather, & definately wait for the salt to be washed awawy from the roads, probably late april.

Thank for the replies.

Reply to
J R

I store my vette in a converted old chicken barn in New Hampshire with many other vettes for about 6 months. It's been OK with Sta-bil in the gas and the battery disconnected. Be sure to have plenty of mouse traps and poison around or you will have mice taking up home building in your engine and interior. They can do a lot of damage to upholstery. Some people even put a wad of paper in the tail pipes or a plastic bag over them to keep mice out.

Reply to
Steve Cox

I'm told mice will eat through paper and plastic...take a ball of aluminum foil and stuff the tailpipe with that instead. I have, however, been very lucky with mice. I store my 1977 vette in my shop in the backyard ..I have mouse traps set, but haven't caught a mouse in the 13 years I have owned the place ... I use a gas stabilizer and pull the battery out. I keep the Vette covered but have the windows left ajar a bit to prevent any stale smells to occur. I start the car whenever I get a warmer than usual day which works out to once every month or so... jim

Reply to
Jim