Wont turn over.

1980 Corvette, has intermittent no start problem. For no reason when I least expect it, there is no one home when I turn the key to start. No noise, not
cranking, just nothing. Battery is up, just got to sit and wait it out, then when it has a change of mind away it goes again.
in message

Could be starter heat soak, was it acting up while warm/hot? If all of a sudden it won't start when hot and after setting a bit it'll fire right up that would be the first thing I'd check. If the starter is new, it should have the spring in the solenoid update. I used to have the new spring number but that has been 25+ years ago so you may have to do a search for that number to change just the spring. Few, if any of the new breed of parts counter people will know what you're talking about if you ask for the spring update.
replying to Dad , jim Trinca wrote:

My only concern with it as a possibility is that it makes no noise while trying to re start, and it can drive for many trips where a over heat could occure, but does not. Then when you least expect it to happen, it does. I believe it is a original 1980 starter that came with the car, I have had the car for 10 yr it could very well need a starter re build with a up grade spring!
message Could be

Unless you're hung up on having it totally original, you might consider one of the newer design hi-torque starters.
Ken
in message

You got it right, it makes no noise when trying to start and happens without warning indicators. The GM part #1958679 spring is lighter and lessens the power required to engage the starter. Clean all your grounds and the piston in the solenoid and add a light film of hi-temp grease. The piston is normally aluminum and can be corroded so polish up that surface a bit. If that doesn't fix the problem go with the mini starter but remember that replacing all the connections and starter is about the same as cleaning the grounds and connections which is a bit cheaper.