1988 Plymouth Voyager problems, help...

Hello everyone:

Recently my brand old 1988 Plymouth Voyager SE (V6 3.0 L Engine) started to hesitate while accelerating and maintaining a steady speed. This usually happens within 10 minutes of driving with the engine warm. The Tachometer shoots up and down. I step on the gas, but it doesn't kick in until the RPMs go down to 1000 or less. The idle speed is between 800/900 RPMs.

So far I've changed:

  • Spark plugs/cables (it was time to change them anyways) * Fuel filter (what I thought to be the problem, but wasn't) * Air filter * Throttle Position Sensor (still no change) * PCV valve

I did the on, off, on, off, on ignition thing to check the trouble codes and I get:

code 24 - Throttle Position sensor voltage low/high code 36 - Wastegate control circuit open or shorted (turbo only) code 37 - Torque converter unlock solenoid circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid circuit(automatic transaxle models only)

If the TPS voltage is too low/high, what would cause/fix this problem? What else could be causing the hesitation?

Thanks!... Any feedback will be appreciated...

Reply to
Francisco.Gaete

Just because you put a throttle position sensor on it for the fault code doesn't mean you fixed it. It sounds like your problem is still related to your TPS circuit. Have you done a battery disconnect to see what codes come back???

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
ipashaev

Tach showing high revs and engine not moving the wheels any faster is a sign of a slipping transmission. Do you actually hear the engine revving up, or is just the tach needle jumping up high? If the engine is indeed really revving and car not moving any faster, your transmission is in need of repair. It just might be low fluid or a clogged filter so try that first.

good luck! Wendy

Reply to
wendy

Thank you all for your responses... First, I'm gonna disconnect/connect the battery and see what codes come back. Thank you. Frank...

Reply to
Francisco.Gaete

Thanks , will disconnect/connect battery and check what codes come back. Thanks again, Frank

Reply to
Francisco.Gaete

******************************************************************************************** Ok, disconnected/connected the battery and now only codes 36 and 37 show up. code 36 - Wastegate control circuit open or shorted (turbo only) code 37 - Torque converter unlock solenoid circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid circuit(automatic transaxle models only)

To Wendy: When the hesitation happens, I step on the gas pedal, but nothing occurs, the engine doesn't rev up.

Thank you all for the help... ^__^ v

Reply to
Francisco.Gaete

That's a good thing cause at least the tranny isn't slipping like crazy.

Disconnecting and connecting the battery allowed the TPS to set it's baseline so chances are that one is fixed.

General information here:::::

I would say, that you are going into lockup or partial lockup on the torque converter at the wrong speed, more than likely too slow which is why you are getting the hesitation.

or

You are not coming out of lockup quickly enough when you step on the gas which will also cause a bog down, or hesitation.

I would begin by checking the wiring to the transaxle and making certain the connectors are all seated nicely, clean, nothing loose and no worn wires rubbing on the frame or anything like that.

Next I would look at a fluid/filter change making certain you get the correct fluid for the car.

I don't believe the electronics have anyway of knowing whether or not the solenoid actually picked or not (mechanically), but they can sense the current through it so if the coil is open (solenoid won't pick), or shorted to ground (solenoid picked all the time) the computer will know about that. However when it fires the solenoid it assumes the plunger mechanically went down.

Start looking at the wires and connectors.

This is all general information..............

I'm sure maxpower can offer specific gotcha's and information about your particular model.

Reply to
wendy

**************************************************************************** ****************

Ok, this makes no sense now, if you step on the gas pedal and nothing happens, no rev (RPM's) then it should be cut and dry. check the cable/linkage!!! But I think there is more to it your just not giving out enough info. Are you saying the vehicle doesn't ,move or what??

Reply to
maxpower

This only happens when the vehicle is in motion. Not right after a red light or when I start the van. Let's say I'm doing 55 mph, when the hesitation occurs, the tachometer will jump up and down, if I step on the gas pedal either nothing will happen (no revs) or the van will jerk. I just let the van slow down on it's own 'till the RPMs go down to about 1000, then the van will "let me" accelerate again and I will continue driving. I'm just starting to learn about cars, so when you mention to check the cable/linkage are you referring to the throttle cable? I see two cables. In the haynes manual, one cable is the "speed control cable" and the other is "throttle cable", the speed control cable looks fine, the throttle cable looks longer than it should be.

I upped 3 pics to show you...

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out... Frank... Have a nice weekend...

Reply to
Francisco.Gaete

recheck for fault codes. What you may need to do is have someone monitor the sensors with a scan tool to see what's happening. You may be loosen spark or something else.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Read this site it may help you