1991 Dodge Shadow 2.2 miss & backfire~~ Help!

My old Dodge Sgadow has run great since I bought it used 4 or 5 years ago. Now it has developed a miss and backfires. The other day I took it for a short trip it began to run so rough I was unsure I would make
i back home. I replaced the air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs.. seems to of helped big time.. At least I thought so.. I took it for a test drive missed a couple times then cleared up ran great (late evening cooler) then I too it today (100 + degrees) ran great at first then started to miss and back fire at idle at say a stop sign. However, when I raised idle just a little all seemes ok I drove it home and notice the miss and backfiring only occurs ar idle and when I first start to raise the idle it migh backfire a little but at 20 to 25 MPH runs like a top.. Any ideas? I am wondering about the spark plugs wires as far as I know they are original.. Also was advised by a frien that shadows have a timer device under the rotor?? It is a 1991 2/3 motor auto
any ideas?? thanks
Well it could be the wires, Question.... why would you not replace the wires when you did the tune up if you suspect they are the original ones??? Wires dont normally last 16 years!! Do a google search on how to check for fault codes on this vehicle and see if there are any codes stored.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Before we had trouble codes and readers to find them, we did it the old fashioned way. Pull your car into a dark garage or wait until its pretty dark outside. With the car running you can see if your spark is arcing under the hood. Sometimes I'd have to almost close the hood to eliminate any light hiding the spark.

damnnickname wrote:

Check for codes by turning ignition switch on-off-on-off-on-off-on. Check engine light will flash. Example flash-flash, pause, flash, longer pause. That would equate to 21. Final code will be 55, indicating end of test.
--
Lynn in StLou
Mopar or no car since 1979

Yes I know how to do it that way but it is easier for the OP to google that info. It will explain it in more details
Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech
Isn't the sequence three times, not four (on-off-on-off-on)? Plus, what if the Check Engine light doesn't work? On my 1991 Dodge Monaco, the Check Engine light never comes on. Never tracked down the problem or fixed it.
Larry Behold Beware Believe

the
That's why I suggested doing a google on how to do it. follow this site http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech