1993 Caravan OH console on a '92...?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:02:09 -0400, clare wrote:

I actuall did find a reference in a Dodge forum, with a link to the manual pages.
The only problem I have with Alldata is the way it is used. I brought a car to a place for a timing belt and a water pump. The belt drives the water pump, so when you remove the belt, the pump is right there, right?
OK, so then "Flat Rate" comes into play: They have to remove the covers, idlers, etc to get the belt out. The water pump is three more bolts. The were going to charge me the price, according to Alldata's "Flat Rate" to change the timing belt, and THEN charge me Alldata's "Flat rate" to remove the water pump, which means charging me for the removal and reinsatllation of the timing belt ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Pay for labor you're doing once, twice? No thanks.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

You can't blame Alldata for that. That's the individual shop's policy to strictly observe flat rate contrary to common sense and ethics. Otherwise, on a given procedure, alldata would have to come up with a list of all permutations of job combinations. There has to be some place for the shop's discretion and common sense in adjusting things accordingly. Those that use flat rate as an excuse to commit fraud (possibly not legal fraud, but certainly ethical fraud) are ones that I would choose not to do business with.
--
Bill Putney

was trying to think of, there ARE combination charges listed.
As there are on most factory flat rate manuals. But the guy reading the manual still needs to have (and use) a brain.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 05:49:41 -0400, Bill Putney wrote:

And I don't! I took it to an hourly shop that charged me $180, including the belt and the pump!
Problem with that is, if they run itno a problem you pay the hourly rate. The best ones are the ones that do the flat rate for the one most expensive job. If it runs over, it's on them. If it goes stunningly well, they make out.

honest mechanic would do it.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:39:10 -0400, clare wrote:

You know that. I know that. They DON'T know that I know that! ;)
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:

pump swapout was part of a timing belt change, and quoted it that way. Not many people keep a car long enough for a timing belt change, and those that do usually know why they should be changed at the same time.
--
aem sends...

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:53:15 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I just wait till mine break, usually at the edge of the middle of nowhere, at 5:00 in the afternoon, on a Friday...
Good thing I have non-interference engines...
In article
I would go to a boneyard, and cut your own connector from a 91-95 and match up the wires. Most yards are have a good selection of these vans (T&C, Voyager and Caravan) get it before they crush them.