1994 Dodge shadow dashboard lights

I have a 1994 dodge shadow ES, and have two problems. the first is that the dashboard lights do not work, the dome light works when you open the door but will not turn on from the dimming switch. Next my
gas gauge flucuates irratically and will not steady down to show the correct amount of fuel in the tank.. Does anyone have any idea for m?? I e looked at the fuses and they all look ok...
Sounds like a loose ground connection between the dashboard and the car's frame (ground).