1994 Intrepid ES Intermittent Electrical

Auto: 94 Dodge Intrepid ES Engine: 3.5L Miles: 123K

Symptoms: Intermittent (a dirty word :-0) cutting out of turn signals, radio, clock display, windshield wipers. Dash lights and gauges work. Also, brake, tail, and head lights work. 2 situations. 1) start to use turn signals and the light on dash will briefly flash and then everything mentioned above quits. No radio, clock display (factory tape deck Infinity speaker system) or turn signals. 2) car moving and the above mentioned items quit working. Radio, clock display, etc. I found out the wipers would also quit today during a rain snow mix and just driving along, they quit working. I looked at the clock display and it, too, was blank. I tried the turn signals and they didn't work, either.

If I stop the car, shut off the ignition and restart, then everything works normally. Sort of like resetting a circuit breaker. This is consistent. No matter which of the 2 situations occur, this operation gets everything working again for awhile. It might last 6 months or 3 days, or a few minutes and it happens again.

Would this be indicative of a turn signal switch failure, possible bad circuit breaker in the flasher circuit (if it has one), loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness, or a short in the wiring harness? Or any other possibilities? Thanks for any advice you wish to provide.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Baxter

The only thing I can see that all those circuits have in common is that they are all fed from the ignition switch. Most likely cause would be worn contacts inside the switch itself.

Reply to
Mike

Ignition switch is a known weak spot on the LH cars.

-GP

Reply to
Gene Poon