1996 dodge grand caravan

The problem is that the e- brake will not stay ingaged. push it down and stays down for a sec. and then pops back up. Is this a minor adjustment or
is the cable need to be replaced? If it's a adjustment how do you do the adjustment?
Thehawk93
when the same thing started happening in my jeep, I pulled the pedal mechanism and found that the teeth that lock the e-brake pedal in place were worn down. At that point there wasn't much I could do about it, it was just old, so I replaced the whole thing. I don't remember what it set me back, but it wasn't ungodly expensive and the replacement was pretty simple... On my Jeep, at least, there were just two bolts holding it to the firewall.