1996 Dodge Neon

I'm having problems with my car that I believe to be caused by a fuel problem. It sputters a lot and it takes forever to accelerate after starting out from
a stop sign or stop light. Basically, what I need to know is does this sound more like it could be caused by a clogged fuel filter, the fuel pump going out, or something worse? If it is something to do with the fuel filter, where is it located? I'm not completely stupid when it comes to mechanics, I spent over a year in an advanced automotive training program in utah, but I must admit, Im kind of dumbfounded, and this problem has me stumped. It seemed to happen just over night. It started yesterday when the temperature outside what almost 116 degrees. Any help, suggestions, or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jason the first thing your gonna have to do if you suspect a fuel pump problem is to do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail. The fuel filter is located in front of the right rear wheel on the frame rail. It is behind an aluminum shield.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech