1997 Dodge Intrepid...Timing Belt?

On the way to work this morning, my car was making a soft, high-pitched noise, and low and behold, half way there the car stopped in the middle of an intersection.
The car would not start again. The tow truck driver said his main guess was a timing belt issue. He said because there was no clunking noise when the car shut off, the valves should be okay...
I'm curious on opinions on this, and how much anyone thinks this would run me...
Thanks for any help...