1997 Neon engine light and other problems

I have a 97 Neon that I recently got inspected and the next day the Check engine light came on. When I got an OBDII car reader to find out the code I got the message err1, the book says this is the error for the computer
having problems communicating with the reader. The light blinks when the engine sputters upon acceleration and occasionally the speedometer does not work. After a week the light went off for about 15 hrs and then came back on again. I cannot get the codes so how do I find out what the problem is?
The OBDll reader is connected with the engine off and the codes are retrieved with the engine running, as for your other problem of the occasional speedometer, look to replace the input or output speed sensor located on the transmission.