1997 Neon Headlight Problem

My original headlights have gone out. I had first lost the low beams and then eventually the high beams. I replaced them with a new pair of halogen lights.
I noticed before I replaced them if I pull the lever to select the beam toward me the lights would work. In the normal position of high/low beam they did not work even after replacing the bulbs. The lever is not meant to stay in that position so I need to fix what the problems is.
Any ideas what the problem is? Is this something I can fix myself or will I need a mechanic to get at the parts?

Sounds like a bad switch, without having a schematic to refference. Could also be fuse or relay?
Glenn should be chiming in with THE answer pretty soon.
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:14:02 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I found the answer in an older thread. I guess at the time I didn't fully understand the terminology they where using and thought they where referring to a faulty part.
It turns out the switch which turns on the headlights was somehow jamming and not pulling out all the way. That sounds stupid but I have owned this car since I bought it 9 years ago. So I am pretty used to how hard to pull the switch out. Once I pulled on it pretty hard it moved all the way out and seems to be moving normally again.
I guess the lever on the dial I referred to is called a multi function switch and bypasses the headlight switch which was the issue.
Now I just need to try the suggestions on cleaning up the foggy headlight lenses. That was the main reason being stuck with only high beams wasn't a problem. I didn't know there was a cheap solution to cleaning them up. I also didn't know it was so easy to change the bulbs. Last time I changed headlights I had to fuss with rusty screws and parts which cut my hands up.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here? on the Neon if you pull the high beam selector towards the driver isn't that only like a lane passing thing and if you want the high beams on you would have to push the switch towards the dash?
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Well I wasn't sure what it meant either and that is why I was asking. Yes normally pushing forward one click turns on the high beams. Neither high or low beams was working. Yet if I pulled the lever back toward me the high beams turn on. The lever wasn't designed to stay in that position and will snap back and turn the lightst off again. I guess it is some sort of a test position which overides the headlight switch setting.

high beam more then likely the multifunction switch is bad.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

found the headlight switch was "stuck" and a good pull got the lights working. I MAY be wrong, but that's what I remember.
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:58:05 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes that is right. It wasn't pulling all the way out so only the fog lights where coming on. I gave it a good tug and that freed up the headlight switch so it moves normally again.

See what happens when I get old? But yep your right.

Well, no. Do the words "Flash To Pass" mean anything to you?
Pulling the stalk bypasses the headlight switch to turn on the high beams...