Sounds like a bad switch, without having a schematic to refference. Could also be fuse or relay?

Glenn should be chiming in with THE answer pretty soon.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I found the answer in an older thread. I guess at the time I didn't fully understand the terminology they where using and thought they where referring to a faulty part.

It turns out the switch which turns on the headlights was somehow jamming and not pulling out all the way. That sounds stupid but I have owned this car since I bought it 9 years ago. So I am pretty used to how hard to pull the switch out. Once I pulled on it pretty hard it moved all the way out and seems to be moving normally again.

I guess the lever on the dial I referred to is called a multi function switch and bypasses the headlight switch which was the issue.

Now I just need to try the suggestions on cleaning up the foggy headlight lenses. That was the main reason being stuck with only high beams wasn't a problem. I didn't know there was a cheap solution to cleaning them up. I also didn't know it was so easy to change the bulbs. Last time I changed headlights I had to fuss with rusty screws and parts which cut my hands up.

Reply to
P12

I have no idea what you are trying to say here? on the Neon if you pull the high beam selector towards the driver isn't that only like a lane passing thing and if you want the high beams on you would have to push the switch towards the dash?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well I wasn't sure what it meant either and that is why I was asking. Yes normally pushing forward one click turns on the high beams. Neither high or low beams was working. Yet if I pulled the lever back toward me the high beams turn on. The lever wasn't designed to stay in that position and will snap back and turn the lightst off again. I guess it is some sort of a test position which overides the headlight switch setting.

Reply to
P12

That is a lane change function. If you have no headlamps in either low or high beam more then likely the multifunction switch is bad.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well, no. Do the words "Flash To Pass" mean anything to you?

Pulling the stalk bypasses the headlight switch to turn on the high beams...

Reply to
daytripper

Glenn it appears you may have missed something. I think I read he found the headlight switch was "stuck" and a good pull got the lights working. I MAY be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Yes that is right. It wasn't pulling all the way out so only the fog lights where coming on. I gave it a good tug and that freed up the headlight switch so it moves normally again.

Reply to
P12

See what happens when I get old? But yep your right.

Reply to
maxpower