1998 Caravan: parking/emerg brake doesn't click into place

When I try locking down the parking brake there's no there, there. While pressure on it does activate the brake shoes, it doesn't lock into place.
My mechanic says it's a big pain to replace the latching
assembly. Actually two have told me that...
Anyone know if it's worth my trying for a third?
Thanks