1999 Chrysler Town/Country LXI

For several months my van randomly drops into a lower gear or wont shift to the next gear. I then pull off the road & cut it off for a minute or so & start again. This seems to fix it until the next time.
I drive by myself often is this the start of something bigger? Sometimes the service engine light comes on & sometimes is doesnt. The mechanics said that they have to look at it when its doing it to know what is going on! Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?
--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com interface
Thread archive:

Sounds like either a bad solenoid pack or "possibly" a speed sensor problem. Also, when was the fluid last changed? MUST have the propar Mopar fluid, and changing fluid regularly on those 4speed auto-boxes is MANDATORY.