1999 intrepid 2.7

Hi, I have a 1999 dodge Intrepid 133K miles, I have had the car since it had 65K on it. I was going 60 mph on the hiway when the engine light came on (which is
not odd since it has came on and off for a long time) but this time the car suddenly lost power, I was unable to accelerate but I could keep relatively the same rpm and speed but those slowly decreased until I came to a stop on the side of the road, the car died and would not start. it would turn over, but would make some "rattling" but not really like a thrown rod rattle, it was more high pitched and not as muffled. I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience and could shed some light on it. the shade tree mechanic next door said he thought it might be a starter but he works on old muscle cars and said he really doesn't know about new cars. I have never heard of a starter going bad and causing the car to die. but there is a allot of stuff I haven't heard of. LOL thanks in advance for any help
My 1999 Intrepid, 2.7 also, had a similar episode, once. Going up Vail Pass. After sitting about an hour, it started and didn't have another episode until months later. Engine would die when I got down to half a tank of fuel. Turned out to be the fuel module. Would not hold pressure. Never figured out why it was always a problem at half a tank. New module, no more problem. May or may not be the cause of your problem.
Larry Behold Beware Believe
[...]

it
car
relatively
on
hoping
but
cars.
any
Why not check to see what the fault code is? A starter wont cause a die out!!
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Got an AutoZone nearby? They'll check it for free.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:34:04 -0400, "maxpower"

Heh heh... Glenn, it's a 2.7l engine... You MUST have that same sinking feeling in the gut as I do... Oil starvation, and subsequent self-destruction of the engine. The OP said that the warning light had been coming on for some time before the failure...
--
Ray Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS

like
it.
but
for
Could be but I was thinking his engine lite was the orange "check engine lite", if it is the red one "oil pressure lite" he could have issues
Glenn

yes, its the orange one

Find out what fault is set and take it from there
Glenn