1999 Stratus / Breeze milage

We have a 1999 Breeze 2.0l, a/t, with 80k on it.
Ive changed to synthetic oil, changed the trans filter and oil, replaced air filter, removed the muffler, and the max I can get driving it like a
little 'ol lady is 27 mpg - at 60 mph for 300 miles.
Ideas?
Should I change the o2 sensor - regardless?
Changed Fuel filter and PCV valve.
I checked car for codes - none, no check engine light. Ive ran every type of injector cleaner imaginable.
40 psi (rated) in new tires. Checked the odometer.
Im toying with an air intake kit? (suggestions)
This is a great car - but, Ive had 15 or more of these, and always got in the mid 30's with them.
I have a friend with the same exact car (except different color) and he AVERAGES 37, and Ive been with him to prove it.
I dont want to - but with $4.00 gas coming, Im looking at trading for a 40mpg car!
Please share your thoughts.
Car ideas smooth, drives well, and is in great condition!
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
Mass airflow sensor?...

That would be a good guess if the car actually had one.

it does have a mass air flo sensor in the intake
In article

No it doesn't.

my neon has one and the breeze has the same motor
In article

Your neon doesn't have a Mass Air Flow sensor either.