2.5L Engine won't idle

My 2.5L 1988 Aries wagon won't idle. It stalls if it goes below about 1000 RPM. It sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders and stalls almost every time I put it in gear and I have to hold the throttle down part way with my foot.

Once it does get going, it seems to go OK on the freeway but with little power. It really chugs too, going from 0 to 20 MPH.

About 2 years ago I had idle trouble and I replaced the fuel injector (after paying to have a pile of other stuff replaced) and that fixed it.

The engine was rebuilt only 2 years ago and only a month ago because of rough idle my shop replaced the AIS, ignition wires and distributor cap.

Since it sounds like it is missing, could the timing belt have slipped? The belt has perhaps 35,000 miles on it and I generally get 70,000 out of one. Could this be the injector again. By the way, the car gives no codes other then 33 because it has no air conditioning.

Otherwise this car is in perfect shape and I want to keep it for running errands I can't do with my Miata.

Any ideas. Anyone need any more info to hazard a guess?

Dan snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
Dan Fraser

[...]

James C. Reeves

Turns out to be the head gasket, again. The thing goes through a head gasket every 2 years. Otherwise it is a fine car. Debating though between fixing it or junking it. My other car is a Miata so I need a practical car now and then too.

Reply to
Dan Fraser

anybody straight edged the block deck ?

Reply to
rob

It was supposed to have been checked during the full rebuilt 2 years ago. I certainly will be doing it this time.

But if it is off, I am certainly not going to pull the block for machining. If the block is warped, the car's a goner.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Fraser