2.5L voltage regulator

Hello All,

I have a question about 2.5L 4cycl engine on 91 Acclaim/spirit.

I observe something weird and if possible i want to confirm it with somebody it is normal.

When I crank engine, the voltage-meter stays at ~10V(or ~11, this is the cranking low voltage) and it stays at this value for maybe 5 seconds more even after the car fires up. Later the scale shows higher voltages (lets say 13.6V). This is the case for lets say since I recognize it(last two years). Can somebody observe if this is the case with your car also?

just to be clear: In this ebay auction, you will see an instrumental cluster: in this picture, my voltage indicator stays on 3th mark from left when I crank and 5 seconds after it fires up. later it moves to 4th mark from the left.

I try to solve this mystery because, I installed a remote starter. The starter design to stop cranking when it registers high Voltage from alternator. Since my regulator does not immediately puts out high voltage, it delays maybe 5 seconds, I can hear the engine is running and the starter cranking more than necessary. As soon as the indicator moves to 4th mark, it stops cranking.

TIA.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

Just a wild a**ed guess but I'd be looking at a bad ground in the instrument cluster. second would be a bad connection between the chassis ground and the engine block ground. The latter can be tested with a jumper cable between the negative terminal of the battery and a) the engine block or b) the chassis metal.

Reply to
NotMe