2.7 Engine

I posted a question about the potential timing chain problem with the 2.7 engine. I only had one response.
What is the experience that others on this board has had?
Has it been a reliable engine? Why does consumer magazine zing it? Also, the MSN auto webpage talks about the timing chain problems.
I would think others on this board would have some imput concerning this engine.
Thanks to any and all that give me some imput.
bernsax wrote:

The problems with these engines stem mostly from the stupidity of the owners and the people who work on them in using the wrong oil. The manual specifies oils with a specific certification. This oil is designed for "High shear strength" needed for the metal timing gears. Some oils meeting this is the new line of Mobil extended service non-synthetics. This same oil is used in the VW diesels, etc.. If you use the right spec and observe proper change intervals, there is no "problem".