2000 Caravan Groaning from axle

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan that is making a groaning sound from the rear passenger side when going over bumps in the road. Is this a serious problem, or just a result of the colder weather?

Reply to
bbellman

I've got a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager (HD suspension, trailer towing option, etc.) that does the same thing, no matter what kind of weather. It's caused by friction between rubber or silicone bushings in the rear suspension and the metal parts they touch. I can replicate the noise by bouncing the rear end while it's parked. Handling, stability, etc. don't seem to be affected, so I don't worry about it.

I've also got a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager (standard suspension) that's got more than twice the mileage (105.5K) and has a very quiet rear suspension. So let's make a leap of logic and assume that the stiffer rear suspension pieces in the '97, especially the neoprene jounce bumpers, are the culprit.

Unless you also hear metallic banging or scraping noises and have handling problems, I wouldn't worry about the noise. However, prudence suggests that a qualified suspension person should check out the rear end, just to be sure.

You can try shooting some silicone lubricant at the potentially offending parts (shock bushings, spring hangers, shock absorber bushings, etc.) but I tried that with no success. I did get some relief when I put some silicone grease on the frame contact points of the jounce bumpers, but that didn't last. This indicates the white/yellow neoprene bumper material causes noise when compressed that the standard black rubber bumpers don't. YMMV.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim Scott