2000 Caravan No Brights.....

I have FSM and have tested stalk switch per book and it seems fine. Sounds and feels fine as well...

(I've replaced a few stalk switches in my life and most that have failed either feel funny or sound funny (mushy) when using the functions.))

Relay is not picking. Manually picking relay will cause brights to work fine. Blue light on dash does not lite either and flash to pass is dead as well.

Question: Book is a bit unclear as to whether this is controlled by the BCM or not. To ME it seems, no, but on other wiring diagrams it seems like it might be.

So.................

I'm looking for someone who has had this problem and solved it....

BCM is expensive and non-returnable item, for obvious reasons. Everything else works fine. This is basic Caravan BTW, not auto dim etc.

(I think I have a missing ground BTW, but looking for ideas anyway as this is a rats nest of wires!)

TIA....

Reply to
Sammy

All this and you really haven't stated what is wrong!!! Do you not have brite lites at all? Are there any fault codes in the BCM? you will need to have a scan tool to verify this.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I guess I thought the subject line said it all :) No Brights at all unless I pick relay manually. IOW there is no signal to pick circuit on relay when I pull stalk to get brights, or I use flash to pass. Blue light for high beams does not light either.

I don't know if BCM has any trouble codes, but I don't have MIL light on.

Can these codes be pulled with a standard code scanner or do you need the DRB to get them? I have access to a standard scanner, but not a DRB.

The circuit diagrams in the FSM along with the description are a bit misleading because they do talk about the BCM being involved, yet if I look at the circuit, depending upon what page, there are various ways in which the bright relays can be picked.

It looks like the BCM only does automatic lights off and controls the interior lights timer.

Oh, I swapped the relays. I forgot to mention that. Fuses are also good.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Sammy

You wont get any engine lite on with a BCM fault.

There are so many readers out there I cant answer that question. Some do and most dont.

Do you have the Body book that comes with the set of FSM? I think there are a total of 4 manuals.

Have you checked the ground, I believe it is the G200 at the (instrument panel ground block)

The headlamp system is controlled completely by the Body Control Module. The BCM controls the Park lamps, Headlamps, and Front Fog Lamps using relays located in the Junction Block. Three wires are connected between the headlamp switch and the BCM. The first wire contains information regarding the position of the headlamp switch (Off, Automatic Headlamps, Automatic Headlamp switch fog, Park with Fog, Head, or Head with Fog Lamps) The second wire contains information regarding the position of the dimmer switch (Dome Lamp, Daytime Brightness, or Dimming Level) The third wire is a dedicated signal return (ground) wire

Before you start setting faults codes in the BCM by jumping relays and swapping parts you may want to find someone with a scanner that can read codes in the BCM. If there are any stored I would clear all of them , shut the system down and operate the headlamps to see if any codes are set

Reply to
maxpower

FWIW I'm posting from work now, I posted the original message.

Thanks for the reply maxpower!

I hear ya' on that one :) I have to check whichh scan tool my friend has but I think it's a fairly sophisticated laptop based scanner because I know he is always doing real time plotting of performance functions etc with it.

Yes I have all 4 of the FSM including the largest which is the Body book.

Not yet, but I have the diagram with me and I think you might have hit it right on the head!! This van was in an accident a few years ago on the front drivers side from the fender back so a lot of the wiring to the PCM etc was disconnected and reconnected so that's the place I am going to start.

Excellent description! You should have written the circuit functional description in the FSM :)

That along with checking the ground is my plan!

Car is due for inspection at end of the month and I'm not certain, but I think in NY I need working brights in order to pass.

I'll let you know what I find, and again thanks for the advice! Have a happy and safe 4th!

Reply to
SteveO

Ok here is an update:

Looking at page 8W-50-2 of the big book FSM, right in the middle of the page at wire L324 which goes from C3 pin2 (under the power distribution block) to headlamp dimmer switch (stalk) pin 12.

I have a very high resistance on that wire, like 24Mohms (essentially open) which is wrong.

Just as a check, I metered wire L94 which goes from C3 pin 7 to headlamp dimmer switch pin 10 and it is zero resistance, which of course a straight piece of wire should be.

Coincidentally, this wire goes right through the fender that was hit in the accident so I suspect something is severed in there.

The wire does go through the fuse block under the dash at P52/B23 but getting to P52/B23 on the Fuse/Relay block under the dash is a nightmare. I wiggled stuff around in there while looking at the meter and it didn't change

Bottom line, I ran a fresh piece of wire from the stalk pin 12 to C3 pin 2 and now everything works fine.

Thank you for all the help and have a happy 4th!

Reply to
SteveO

Thats the ground wire(sense) to the high beam relay which goes to the G200 ground I was talking about. without that you wouldnt have any high beams.

Glad to hear you go it fixed.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname