2000 Caravan water pump

3.0 litre engine. Had a garage mechanic replace water pump. 4 weeks later it continues to leak, but only when the engine in cold. I have isolated the leak to the timing belt housing that covers the water pump, but have not attempted to get behind that cover.

Assuming the mechanic did replace the pump. He worked on it a second time, but only so far as re-tightening the bolts. What is the most likely cause of the continued leak? Is it the O ring that connects to the engine? Is it a bad gasket connecting the two halves? Is it a tube connecting to the pump?

It is odd that it will only leak when the engine is cold, or when I apply pressure to the upper radiator hose. When the engine is cold, it will drip, drip drip when I add coolant. Loses between a quart and half gallon after each trip.

Reply to
kudem

the 3-0 has an o ring and a gasket did he replace the timing belt as well and yes there is a tube to the back of the motor did he change the pump or did he plug the hole where it will leak from just a thought

Reply to
truckdriver

Most common leak on the Mitsu 3.0 is the tube under the intake.

Reply to
clare

yup the o ring gets dry rotted

Reply to
truckdriver

And on my '88 the tube rusted through at a spot-weld.

Reply to
clare