2000 dodge Caravan 3.3L

Does subject car have timing belt or chain? Is it an interference engine requiring scheduled service to prevent engine destruction? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Add pictures here
βœ–

And yes it uses a chain
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Add pictures here
βœ–
Please, what is a "free wheeling valve train". Interference or non? Thank you, Seamus J.

Add pictures here
βœ–
sligo wrote:

"Free-wheeling" = non-interference.
Just about every V8, including the LA-block 273/318/340/360 that Chrysler used for years, was NON free-wheeling. If the plastic-tipped teeth on the timing gear went bad, or the timing chain itself let go, you got a mandatory valve job thrown into the repair. The piston would bump the valves and bend them. This never happened to me once out of about a dozen cars I had with the 273/318/340/360, and some of them ran up over 200,000 miles; but it has happened to others, generally on cars which were poorly maintained, had a LOT of miles on them, or which had been overheated. There's a lot less risk involved than with ignoring service intervals on the current crop of engines with timing belts, unless they're free-wheeling (Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 as in the K-Cars, were).
Add pictures here
βœ–
"" wrote: > Please, what is a "free wheeling valve train". Interference > or non? > Thank you, > Seamus J.
The 3.3 is a non-interferance engine because it uses a timing chain unlike the 3.0 which uses a belt.BUT what most people don’t know is that if the valve train and piston meet just right it will bend a valve/s though it is chain driven but it is very very very rare.So you have nothing to worry about.I have only seen two cases in roughly 15 years that this happened,one was a ford and the other was a chrysler product,the chains had broke on both.
βœ–
What about the 96 4cyl caravan-- it has a timing belt; how often does it need to be changed?

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thank you for the additional information. Seamus J.

Add pictures here
βœ–
sligo wrote:

The 3.3L has a timing chain which is supposed to last the life of the engine.
Don't know if it's an interference design.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thank you all for the informative answers. Best, Seamus j.

Add pictures here
βœ–