2000 Dodge Grand Caravan ignition

When I put my key in, it will not turn to start the van. Sometimes it lets me start the van and sometimes not. Does anyone know how to fix this? I just don't want to get stranded somewhere. Any info on this problem would be appreciated.

Reply to
tsm

If I had to take a guess I would say you have the 3.3 3.8 litre engine withy a starter that has worn out contacts in it. Does it make a click when you try to start it? And just curious, whets the battery look like? Corroded terminals?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The key will not even turn. You stick the key in the ignition and it will not turn at all. It is locked and I tried another key which worked for a couple days, but now it is doing it too. It happens off and on. It is not the starter, it has to do with the locking mechanism. It is a 3.3 engine. When it does turn it starts with no problem.

Reply to
tsm

The key will not even turn. You stick the key in the ignition and it will not turn at all. It is locked and I tried another key which worked for a couple days, but now it is doing it too. It happens off and on. It is not the starter, it has to do with the locking mechanism. It is a 3.3 engine. When it does turn it starts with no problem.

Reply to
tsm

The next time it happens tap on the key as you want to make it go further inside the cylinder, at the same time turn it....if this allows it to turn, your ign lock cylinder is bad, replace and recode

Reply to
maxpower