2000 Dodge Grand Caravan still won't start!

My Minivan have always worked pretty good without any trouble. Last night after dropping someone off from work my battery light came on. I drove it the rest of the 20 minute drive home and it was fine. I went back out 5 minutes later to pick up a kid from school game and the van would NOT start for anything. I doubt it has anything to do with this, but I do want to mention that I ran over a small "V" shaped metal pipe in the road on the way to bring that person to work last night, just in case that might possibly have something to do with this problem. When we try to start it, you can hear it turning over, and you can hear a steady ticking noise. All lights come on fine. My hubby did say that the radio keeps coming in and out though like it's not getting a good signal. (Just thought I'd add that as you never know what detail might be important.

The starter and cylonoid (sp?) are combined on my model and this morning we took it off the van and went and had it tested. They said it was still working but turning slower than it ought to. So we bought a new one for $140 and just got it on the van and it is still doing the exact same thing. My hubby has a small battery charger and it shows the battery is fully charged. I also have a full tank of gas as I filled it up the previous day, so I know the gas gauge is not faulty.

Please help!

-- Message posted using

information at

candydandy100

Why would you replace the starter before having the battery load tested? Chances are the battery is no good with a shorted cell. How old is the battery?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I would check to see if you have spark and fuel (getting to the injectors).

Reply to
Mike Cuddington

Get the battery tested. Just because the generic testor at home says it is charged, does not mean it is a good battery. It probably is shorted out. Get the battery tested!

Reply to
holycow

And make sure the cables clamp/screw on to the battery tightly, with no corrosion on either the battery or the cable end. Loose &/or corroded battery connections can cause all kinds of problems, not the least is insufficient current to get it started...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

because the generic testor at home says it is

well she did say that the battery light came on so that is an indication that the alt went bad so i would have that checked to

Reply to
truckdriver