2000 Dodge Neon with 80,000

We have a 2000 Dodge Neon with 80,000+ miles. We bought it brand new so all of the maintenance has been done by us. We change the oil every

3000 miles using 10w/30.

For the last 10,000 miles, between oil changes, we have had to add a quart...sometimes two. We have been told different things by different people.

1) This is normal for an engine with this many miles. or 2) Increasing the weight of the oil would stop or slow down the usage.

Who is correct and what should we do?

Thanks

Reply to
twobowlers

Gyzmologist

You mention nothing about having the vehicle checked for oil leaks?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes, we have had the car checked for leaks and none were found.

Also in response to the questions from Gyz...there are no spots under the car...no smoke when first starting up or coasting downhill...nor is there any oil in the coolant recovery tank.

Thanks....

Reply to
twobowlers

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Check your water.

I had a 97 neon and the head gasket blowed , oil was getting into the water.

its hard to flush out.

Reply to
mech