2000 Dodge Neon with 80,000

We have a 2000 Dodge Neon with 80,000+ miles. We bought it brand new so all of the maintenance has been done by us. We change the oil every 3000 miles using 10w/30.
For the last 10,000 miles, between oil changes, we have had to add a quart...sometimes two. We have been told different things by different people.
1) This is normal for an engine with this many miles. or 2) Increasing the weight of the oil would stop or slow down the usage.
Who is correct and what should we do?
Thanks
I disagree that this is normal especially since you changed the oil every 3000 miles. There are many possibilities, we just have to determine where the oil is going. Do you see any oil spots under the car? Do you see smoke when you first start it? Do you see smoke when coasting down a hill? Is there oil in your coolant recovery tank?
twobowlers wrote:

--
Gyz

Everyone thinks they know how to drive.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Yes, we have had the car checked for leaks and none were found.
Also in response to the questions from Gyz...there are no spots under the car...no smoke when first starting up or coasting downhill...nor is there any oil in the coolant recovery tank.
Thanks....
Okay, I give up. Where is the oil going?
twobowlers wrote:

--
Gyz

Everyone thinks they know how to drive.

Check your water.
I had a 97 neon and the head gasket blowed , oil was getting into the water.
its hard to flush out.