2000 durango, could the drive shaft be making this noise?

I have a 2000 durango with 102,000 miles on it. When accelerating slowly a squeaking noise is heard, when foot off pedal, sound goes away. At freeway speeds, the noise also a noise that seems to be a low tone (bass) fast repetion viberation when the pedal is pressed down and it goes away when pedal is released. Sounds like noise from deep tread on tires/road noise, but is consistent no mattter the pavement. Occurs at speeds greater than

45mph.

Dealership did a test drive with me and said he thought was the drive shaft. This does not make sense to me, could he be right?

Mr.

Reply to
Mr . .

I just went through a rear end rebuild because of similar noises on my 98 Dakota, 87k miles. The dealership, Dallas Dodge, in McKinney, TX, rebuilt the entire rear end when all it needed was a pinion bearing set. That was near $1400 worth of parts/labor and a whole week of down time. I had them save the parts. I next brought all the parts to two different shops that do this sort of work and they both looked at it all. They both agreed that the pinion bearing replacement would have done the job and would have cost me nearer to $250. Beware of this particular dealership. I will be from now on.

Reply to
Abby Normal

I had a 2000 Dakota with 72,000 miles on it. Started to get a shimmy type of squeek. Sound like something was in the bed moving around like something loose. I pulled the shaft, one uni joint was half froze and other was going. Hate those sealed joints, No grease fittings, all were pretty much dry and rusted. $32.00 bucks for the pair, and a afternoon it was done.

SCOTT

Reply to
Scootter

Dealership is replacing rear u joint, says tires that were moved from the front were not making the noise, even though the noise went 95% away after the tires were rotated & balanced. Tireshop says tires in the front were cupped badly and moved them to the rear. They indicated an alignment would help the cupping... dealership says no, but the shocks should be replaced because that's what causes cupping...

Commnets?

Reply to
Mr . .