2000 Intrepid Bouncing Fuel Gauge

I have a 2000 Intrepid with 120,000 miles. In the past month the fuel gauge will swing to E, chime, then go back to normal. This will go off an on for a few minutes then, it won't happen until I refill the tank.
Is it the sending unit on the fuel system? Is it hard to repair?
Rexxy61
with that many miles on the vehicle you may as well just replace the complete fuel pump assembly. The sending unit is bad and yes it is causing the problem
Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech
damnnickname wrote:

Do you have to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump? Or is there any other access place?
Rex

That's a smart move on Chrysler's part... The first-Gen H-Bodies had an access panel in the trunk... I guess it's all about saving a few bucks, huh?

allowed to do that anymore. EPA doesn't even want vehicles to have a shrader valve on the fuel rail because of environment reasons
Yes, I agree with Glenn, Both my 96 Grand Caravan and 02 GC had the same symptoms, and they only got worse. The problem is that the fuel level sending unit becomes intermittent. They never went hard bad, but they become so intermittent that it is like chinese water torture, with chimes going off all over the place. On the GC, the fuel gauge and pump are a $300 assembly, and labor was around $300. Not a cheap repair. Fortunately the 2002 was caught in the warranty period.
Good luck Pete